Another summer of making firewood is coming to an end.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I think I can get a few more on there!
IMG_0238%2520%25281024x768%2529-768940.jpg

One more row and I will have reached this summer's wood-cutting goal!
IMG_4171%2520%25281024x683%2529-721255.jpg

Quads, it won't be long and you will be starting your winter season cutting. I know you avoid it when the hunters are out. By the way, didn't Dennis ever teach you that cross stacking trick on the ends? I guess you prefer wood pyramids. :coolsmile:

It was the last load of the day, no split left behind!

Winter season cutting starts the first week of December. Bow deer season starts in September, a few weeks from now, and then I don't go in the woods again until the Monday after Thanksgiving. I don't cross stack the ends because I can't get it to work. Tried it a couple times, cross stacked ends fell over, and then it looked just like my pyramids all over again. So, I decided that for me to learn how to do that without it tipping over regardless takes too much time away from all my other chores! HA! Gave up on it, can't teach an old dog like me new tricks!

Nice pile Quads,,,if ya can get that much on a small trailer,,I would love to see what you could put in a pickup truck..!!!!

Okay quads, I'll teach you how to build the wood piles if you'll teach me how to load a trailer like that. :lol:

Looks like you've had a nice summer's work.

Is that Pignut hickory?

Dang quads even the milk crate has wood in it! Looks like you've had a productive summer. Although i see a garden hose stretched out and some wet stacks. Seasoned wood burning to hot for ya? :cheese:

I can just barely get that trailer load in my old Jeep Comanche pickup. I don't stack it in the truck, it won't handle it. The little trailer will actually haul more weight than the pickup! I normally don't haul even that much in the pickup. That's about $40 worth of wood on the trailer and I only haul $25 at a time in the pickup.

Nope, that's not pignut hickory. I don't think I have ever seen one of those. The trailer is full of white oak and the stacks have mostly black oak, except the row nearest the camera, which is also white oak.

I normally don't put any in the milk crate (even hollered at Mrs. Quads once when she tried to do it), but like I said, last load of the day and anything goes! My firewood is way too dry so I took the hose to it! HAHA!

It's a deal Dennis!

quads, Do you stack those pyramids right on the ground?

Awesome display. How do you tell the difference between Red and White Oak?

SolarAndWood said:
Awesome display. How do you tell the difference between Red and White Oak?

Red/Black Oak is pinkish red or reddish brown.White & Bur Oak is light tannish to dark brown.Plus it weighs about 10% more,is a little harder with smaller pores & finer texture.The bark is different among the 4 species also.Rarely more than 1/2 of the various oaks I cut has any bark,its usually dead on the ground for several yrs or a standing snag.

DaFattKidd said:
quads, Do you stack those pyramids right on the ground?
Yes indeed! Haven't figured out how to get them to levitate yet. HAHA!

Very impressive trailer load. Did you make it back okay?

Yup, I made it back and never lost a single split. Finished up my last row this morning, have reached my goal for the summer! Now anything I cut will be a bonus, but will also have to be stacked in the woods because I am out of room in the yard again. At least until sales pick up again this Fall.....

quads said:
I think I can get a few more on there!
IMG_0238%20%281024x768%29-768940.jpg

One more row and I will have reached this summer's wood-cutting goal!
IMG_4171%20%281024x683%29-721255.jpg

Nice job quads, if you have time I need some help building a cabin.

zap

zapny said:
Nice job quads, if you have time I need some help building a cabin.

zap
Sure Zap, I'd be happy to help you! I have to warn you though, my carpentry skills are not very good and the cabin would most likely tip over like some of my 'too tall pyramids of firewood'! HAHA! But maybe I could hand you the nails or something.....

Status
Not open for further replies.