Another thermometer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunglider

Dec 22, 2009
Andes, New York
Greetings everyone. New burner here. I want to thank the webmaster and everyone else for creating such an informative site. I frequent a number of message boards but this is definitely one of the best I have ever found.

I have done nothing but read old posts for the past month or so. As a result of this obsessive behavior, a Hampton 300 woodstove got itself installed on my raised stone fireplace hearth with an insulated 316 SS liner going about 22 feet up the exterior masonry chimney, with block-off plate, etc., etc. So I guess I have all of you people to blame for the 72 degree temperature I am now suffering with even though it is 3 degrees outside. My obsession has now extended to downed trees, woodshed designs...I could go on but I will get to my question.

The stove is well out on the hearth and vents from the rear. There is about 2 feet of pipe running horizontally back to a T and then the liner goes straight up the chimney. There is only about 1 foot of liner accessible before reaching the block-off plate.

With this set-up, where is the best place for a magnetic flue pipe thermometer. I can't get 18" above the stove. Should it be on the vertical flex liner? Or on top of the horizontal pipe?

I also await with interest Condar's response to the pending question about its thermometers.

Thanks in advance.

Hi SG, and welcome !!

Can't help much, but I'm bumping you up a bit.

Yeah !! Another member of the "coven" !! That's 2 today that I know of !!

It will probably have to go on the horizontal pipe. Magnets won't stick to stainless steel and the corrugations on the liner would affect the reading anyway.

sunglider said:
Greetings everyone. New burner here. I want to thank the webmaster and everyone else for creating such an informative site. I frequent a number of message boards but this is definitely one of the best I have ever found. I agree . . . came here originally looking for some simple answers and opinions on woodstoves . . . and now I'm hooked on this @#%#$ site . . . informative and fun. Darn you Craig!!! ;)

I have done nothing but read old posts for the past month or so. Heaven help you if you become a regular here . . . and if you go away for a week's vacation . . . it will take you several days just to catch up on all the posts. Trust me on this . . . I was out for a little more than a week due to death in the family and it took me over a week to catch up on all the old posts which I of course felt obligated to read. As a result of this obsessive behavior, a Hampton 300 woodstove got itself installed on my raised stone fireplace hearth with an insulated 316 SS liner going about 22 feet up the exterior masonry chimney, with block-off plate, etc., etc. So I guess I have all of you people to blame for the 72 degree temperature I am now suffering with even though it is 3 degrees outside. Good deal . . . always nice to know folks are benefiting from this website and advice since the truth of the matter is . . . what really matters isn't how many times you post or how many contributions you make, but rather if you're able to take the knowledge here and stay warm with wood heat. Mission accomplished! My obsession has now extended to downed trees, woodshed designs... Yup . . . you're hooked and I have to warn you . . . you're already heading down that slippery hill . . . soon it will be what brand of chainsaw should I get, what is the best hydraulic splitter, etc. I could go on but I will get to my question.

The stove is well out on the hearth and vents from the rear. There is about 2 feet of pipe running horizontally back to a T and then the liner goes straight up the chimney. There is only about 1 foot of liner accessible before reaching the block-off plate.

With this set-up, where is the best place for a magnetic flue pipe thermometer. I can't get 18" above the stove. Should it be on the vertical flex liner? Or on top of the horizontal pipe? Sounds like the question has already been answered . . . in any case, thanks for posting and welcome to the hearth.com.

I also await with interest Condar's response to the pending question about its thermometers.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone. I figured that the corrugations on the flex liner would affect the reading.

I knew I had a problem when the "You know you're a woodburner..." thread made perfect sense. Before I even had a stove.

I'm still in the Hearth Room, haven't started reading in the gear section yet. [big grin]

Status
Not open for further replies.