another tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAY_PA

Feeling the Heat
May 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
I am not certain what this is. Leaning toward tulip poplar or something close. The bark doesnt match the tulip poplar in our yard tho. It is not Ash.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 309
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 309
Sorry poplar is my vote.

I am not certain what this is. Leaning toward tulip poplar or something close. The bark doesnt match the tulip poplar in our yard tho. It is not Ash.

your right the bark doesnt dont look like tulip to me either but the inside sure does. Is it real eazy to split and cut?

yeah, cut like pine and split in 1/2 with one wack. Its not very heavy either and its wet. Its gotta be some kind of poplar, I am just not sure what kind.....thought some of you pros would be able to help me.

RAY_PA said:
yeah, cut like pine and split in 1/2 with one wack. Its not very heavy either and its wet. Its gotta be some kind of poplar, I am just not sure what kind.....thought some of you pros would be able to help me.

tulip bark around here looks just like ash. My best guess would be tulip

it looks alot like ash,...why I added the note that its not. whatever it is, it'll be nice wood for the shoulder season in 2011

RAY_PA said:
it looks alot like ash,...why I added the note that its not. whatever it is, it'll be nice wood for the shoulder season in 2011

its tulip then. I would use it this fall it season very quickly shelve life not long.

I see that poplar around here (north central NJ) don't know exactly what kind it is. Just not the kind I want.
Might be a yellow poplar.

Why is the shelf life not long on TuliP? Does it Rot quick? I've been trying to identify some wood that looks exactly like this stuff - the bark and inside look identical.

fire_man said:
Why is the shelf life not long on TuliP? Does it Rot quick? I've been trying to identify some wood that looks exactly like this stuff - the bark and inside look identical.

its a very softwood if you can keep it off the ground it will last longer, but I wouldnt want to run longer

fire_man said:

its a very softwood if you can keep it off the ground it will last longer, but I wouldnt want to run much longer than 12-14 months.

To me this looks like Aspen/poplar, not Tulip Poplar, which in unrelated except in name. I see lots of Bigtooth Aspen here in central PA that look just like this. I can recognize Tulip Poplar in tree form, but haven't cut a whole lot so I am not sure i know it in firewood form. Still, I think tulip poplar should have a darker wood than this. Aspens often have the whitish wood with colorful streaks that I see in the pics.

I would have to agree with Wood Duck. I would say Aspen/Poplar. From what I can tell from the pics and the thickness of the bark. Of course the sure way to tell would be is to look at a leaf off the tree.

BroadCove said:
I say aspen too (which, around here, is called poplar, even though it's aspen).

Yup. Popple. Brought in an armload this morning for daytime burning when I'm not askin too much of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.