Another unusual splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your right I am reading this from my S185 - and i think i have wasted my time, (and a bit of fuel). ;-) Me thinks that a link should have been attached here??

Seems like an awful lot of wear-n-tear on an expensive piece of equip. Lots of fuel v.s. production I would guess as well.

meh...way too impractical and how long do you think that screw will hold its threads? Hell I bet you could buy 3 of those 'supersplitters' for what they get for that...monstrosity.

That has to be the most bogus piece of equipment I've ever seen...what a goat screw.

edit to add...

...and yeah I am holding back.

Ive used a regular splitter on a skid with the ram on the bottom so you could split large rounds with out getting out of the machine . It works real good but i use it so we could load the smaller pieces in the truck . I use a 27 ton Yard machine to finish splitting.

It might be good if you want to split wood before you cut down the tree!

I wanna know how you keep the wood from spinning around with these screw type splitters? How do they handle knots? There must be a reason that linear splitters are so popular...

Chris

wellbuilt home said:
Ive used a regular splitter on a skid with the ram on the bottom so you could split large rounds with out getting out of the machine . It works real good but i use it so we could load the smaller pieces in the truck . I use a 27 ton Yard machine to finish splitting.

I've seen a splitter for a skid steer that was pretty slick. It mounted to the skid steer where the bucket would usually be. It appeared to have a cylinder on either side of the wood. You straddled the wood, you could pick it up and move it over your pile and split it. Seemed to work well though not the fastest machine but you could get some good volume in a day. I'm sure it cost more than a regular beam splitter though...not to mention the cost of the skid steer.

I will stick with my 12 inch rounds and my ryobi

Well, that's interesting...I've finally seen a piece of gear I don't want. :smirk: Rick

You would just push the log into the ground to keep it from spinning. Most of the hydraulic hookups like this are reversible so you could back out of a knot and don't expect the threads to wear out, it'll be the actual tip that starts screwing which is steel and could be sharpened.

This creation likely came from a guy who had a hydraulic post hole digger which is pretty common, and he also maybe had a stickler or bark buster brand screw splitter and maybe got bored one day. I think it is an choice of an idea but heck, at least he is being creative.

Back in the day people used to make fence posts by splitting the logs like that so maybe the device could be a split rail/ fencepost machine.

I split the last 9 cords with a unicorn splitter like this hooked to a tractor PTO. I'll find a linky....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16018/

Redox said:
There must be a reason that linear splitters are so popular...
Chris

I believe it takes a lot more hydraulic flow to spin the motor required for this than it does to push a splitter cylinder. So, smaller pumps, smaller motors = cheaper splitters. Skid Steers have gobs of hydro available, so they can run one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.