Another wood ID thread...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
Took a unusual way to work today and came across this. Any ideas? Had a yellowish color...more than the pics show. Locust hopefully? I was in my beater car and my tree ID book was in the truck :( Anyway, fire away. Best part is, it free, theres gobs and gobs of it, and 2 miles from home. Thanks!

Attachments

• rsz_1wood_006.jpg
    rsz_1wood_006.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 337
  • rsz_1wood_005.jpg
    rsz_1wood_005.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 328
  • rsz_1wood_004.jpg
    rsz_1wood_004.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 337
does poplar grow in your area ?

in a ( regrowth) race for canopy space here the poplar loses to the white pine and all I ever find is dead rotten standing poplar

Tulips round here are smooth. Not tulip for sure.

I am rolling with Cottonwood!

Yellow poplar or Tulip

As long as you have room, I'd call a pile of logs like that 2 miles from home hard to argue with no matter what it is.

Room is an issue so I'm picky

Bocefus78 said:
Tulips round here are smooth. Not tulip for sure.

i think Tulips this large would have ridged bark, but I don't think that is Tulip. I think it is cottonwood, like several others have said.

Rings were pretty large....its probably junk cottonwood and also explains why its just sitting. Around here there's all the hdwd you want. Just ask smokinjay . Thanks all.

Bocefus78 said:
Rings were pretty large....its probably junk cottonwood and also explains why its just sitting. Around here there's all the hdwd you want. Just ask smokinjay . Thanks all.

I know where there is a little hickory and beech. Should fit in your trunk!

smokinjay said:

10 miles from Deer Creek and pushing hardwood on people, you must have a lot of friends ;-)

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

10 miles from Deer Creek and pushing hardwood on people, you must have a lot of friends ;-)

LOL, We look like ants moving monster trees thats for sure. Dee creek a bouns...

I can hear deer creek from my woodpiles......traffic sucks on concert nites for me. I'm less than a mile away.

How does a guy in Syracuse NY know about deer creek?

summer dead tour '93 we were in the 20th row each of the three nights.

I assumed it was the dead......nobody forgets where the fences came down.

I dont remember any stories about fences?

Can't remember what year....maybe 95.....the whole lot scene literally rioted,tore down the fences, just to see the show. Mass chaos ensued.65,000 hippies are hard to stop. Still to this day, nobody is allowed to play 3 day sets here thanks to that night. If I also remember, this all happened like a week before jerry died. I'm not a head, never was, but for some reason, sounds right. Just some random history for ya from the creek....now known to most as Verizon wireless music center.

Bocefus78 said:
Can't remember what year....maybe 95.....the whole lot scene literally rioted,tore down the fences, just to see the show. Mass chaos ensued.65,000 hippies are hard to stop. Still to this day, nobody is allowed to play 3 day sets here thanks to that night. If I also remember, this all happened like a week before jerry died. I'm not a head, never was, but for some reason, sounds right. Just some random history for ya from the creek....now known to most as Verizon wireless music center.

Motley Crew I was there! lol Awesome.......................Girls Girls Girls.

Bocefus78 said:
....maybe 95.....

You are right, July 2nd 1995. Complete with tear gas, police in riot gear and beatings. Sounds like it was ugly. Glad I wasn't there.

That said, you and smokin live in a beautiful spot. And, back to your logs, if you are tight on space hanging with Jay seems like a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.