Another wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jleyland

Apr 25, 2009
eastern pa
Hey Ya'll
I've been enjoying this forum for awhile now. Thanks for all the great info, it's helped me out a ton. I've been cutting and splitting this fallen tree in my yard and I'm just wondering what it is. Seems pretty dry when split. I'd imagine it's been down for at least 2 years. Thanks for any help!
Jon

Attachments

• IMG00344.jpg
    IMG00344.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG00345.jpg
    IMG00345.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG00346.jpg
    IMG00346.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 386
jleyland said:
Hey Ya'll
I've been enjoying this forum for awhile now. Thanks for all the great info, it's helped me out a ton. I've been cutting and splitting this fallen tree in my yard and I'm just wondering what it is. Seems pretty dry when split. I'd imagine it's been down for at least 2 years. Thanks for any help!
Jon

ash

smokinjay said:
jleyland said:
Hey Ya'll
Jon

ash

i agree

I'll second the Ash! One of the few that I have some experience with. Splits easily and burns well, leaving some nice coals in the morning.

Judging by the bark thickness, it was a good sized ASH tree.
That bark will get the fire going real nice..........

WoodButcher

It looks like it could be Sassafras to me. Does it split super easy?

The bark looks a little unusual for Ash, but I agree with the others that say it's Ash. And like Woodbutcher said, Ash bark burns great. I have a big stack of it that I use to start fires in the garage. I can't think of another bark that burns as well and leaves such a small amount of ashes.

Large diameter White Ash can develop extremely deep furrows.
Here are a few pics...........

WoodButcher

Attachments

• whiteash.jpg
    whiteash.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.