another wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
this stuff i had in my pile that i processed but have no idea what or where it came from. this wood is very very light in weight. start really easy and has the sweetest aroma when burning. the aroma is so good it makes me want to take a bite out it. you know what i mean. it burns hot and fast. so far this is burning even faster than the poplar i had last year.

Attachments

• DSC03160a.jpg
    DSC03160a.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 389
shot 2

Attachments

• DSC03159a.jpg
    DSC03159a.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 393
shot 3

Attachments

• DSC03157a.jpg
    DSC03157a.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 384
The reason no-one has replied is because they realize that it is an endangered species.
Not to be cut or possessed.

I suggest you delete your post!

your description of the wood made me think it might be sassafras, but I really don't konw from the pics. The bark doesn't look right for Sassafras, and I have no idea about the wood.

That is laminate oak flooring DO NOT BURN IT!
but the split on top looks like soft maple to me!

Wood Duck said:
your description of the wood made me think it might be sassafras, but I really don't konw from the pics. The bark doesn't look right for Sassafras, and I have no idea about the wood.

I also think it's Sassy....

Bubbavh said:
That is laminate oak flooring DO NOT BURN IT!
but the split on top looks like soft maple to me!

2x

Monkey Wrench said:
The reason no-one has replied is because they realize that it is an endangered species.
Not to be cut or possessed.

I suggest you delete your post!

I think you're right. Not sure if its on the list but if it is what I think it is I definetly wood'nt have cut it.

PA. Woodsman said:
Wood Duck said:

Doesn't Sassafras have a very deeply furrowed bark?

The grain looks just like Maple but the bark isn't familiar to me.

yes that's a pergo floor. they don't take any abuse. i've never seen a sassafras tree. it's not silver maple i've got plenty of that and it doesn't smell as good. i was thinking sugar maple???????

No, the bark on Sugar maple is a lot more course than your picture. I'm thinking Red Maple or Norway Maple.

thanks guys. this stuff smells better than the cherry that i had last year and just wanted to have a idea what it was.

JerseyWreckDiver said:
PA. Woodsman said:
Wood Duck said:

Doesn't Sassafras have a very deeply furrowed bark?

The grain looks just like Maple but the bark isn't familiar to me.

Now that you mentioned it, I looked it up in my National Audubon Field Guide, and it really doesn't match the Sassafras picture there, so now I have no idea what it is LOL!! The grain inside looked like Sassy, and when he mentioned the sweet aroma I thought it was Sassy, but now I am confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.