Another Woodstock Keystone Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Picked her up this morning and it's all hooked up and getting broke in.

Attachments

• 100_1447.jpg
    100_1447.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,369
  • 100_1448.jpg
    100_1448.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 100_1449.jpg
    100_1449.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,398
Nice set up, congrats on the new stove!

Looks good, enjoy ! That wood rack looks close !!! Probably just the picture.

Shawn

Sheesh, another black one too?

Good gravey - that's a nice looking stove!!!!!!

Really looks good on your hearth. I think the stove looks much better with the rear flue exit so you can have elevated soapstone on top.

Very nice.

Keep us informed on how it heats vs the Fireview it replaced.

BTW, is your other Keystone black or a lighter color?

Great looking fire too.

Bill

I chose the black cuz it goes good with the brick and black mortar. Other Keystone is charcoal. This one is a refurb from Woodstock and paid $1600 for it. Pretty much looks like a brand new stove to me. Should be no problem heating this 2000 sq ft with two.

I love that hearth. Nice set up Todd!

Todd,

Your a madman! :lol:

That looks really nice....

Cheers Hiram

Wow Todd I really like the Keystone! Until they come out with the new stove I like the Keystone best and I like your hearth as well! Is that the stove with the 7" flue and if so how did you deal with it? I do wonder why Woodstock doesn't make the flue collar so it can vent for both rear or top exit.. I currently have a 90 and 45 and it I were to install a Woodstock I would have to add another 90, not a good idea in my opinion..

Ray

raybonz said:
I do wonder why Woodstock doesn't make the flue collar so it can vent for both rear or top exit..
It can top-vent also. You just swap the flue collar with the plate that's now installed on top, under the small elevated soapstone.

Woody Stover said:
[quote author="raybonz" date="1299693460"I do wonder why Woodstock doesn't make the flue collar so it can vent for both rear or top exit..
It can top-vent also. You just swap the flue collar with the plate that's now installed on top, under the small elevated soapstone.[/quote]

Oh ok I didn't know that I don't think you can do that on the other stoves though.. The Keystone is a nice looking stove too bad it calls for a 7" flue and oddly enough it is rated to heat less sq. feet than the 6" flue stoves they make.. For some reason it must be less efficient?

Ray

Todd, not much more can be said other than congratulations and the total install looks great.

raybonz said:
Wow Todd I really like the Keystone! Until they come out with the new stove I like the Keystone best and I like your hearth as well! Is that the stove with the 7" flue and if so how did you deal with it? I do wonder why Woodstock doesn't make the flue collar so it can vent for both rear or top exit.. I currently have a 90 and 45 and it I were to install a Woodstock I would have to add another 90, not a good idea in my opinion..

Ray

It can be vented either top or rear. I chose rear so I'd have that extra soapstone panel on top. Woodstock says not to count that first 90 in back of the stove, it is a common install that works fine. They also approved this stove for 6" and sell an adapter. I think the 7" comes from the older design and found it cheaper to keep it that way than to retest and make a change in castings? Both of my stoves daft great with 6".

The keystone is rated for a smaller area because it is a smaller stove. The flue size appears to be irrelevant.

Todd said:
raybonz said:

Ray

It can be vented either top or rear. I chose rear so I'd have that extra soapstone panel on top. Woodstock says not to count that first 90 in back of the stove, it is a common install that works fine. They also approved this stove for 6" and sell an adapter. I think the 7" comes from the older design and found it cheaper to keep it that way than to retest and make a change in castings? Both of my stoves daft great with 6".

Thanx for the info Todd I love the look of that stove and wish it was sized for a larger home.. Very nice looking setup you have there..

Ray

Thanks for all the kind words. I may have to swap around to the top vent, really don't want to but I'm getting some smoke spilage during reloads and I'm thinking it has to be that rear vent 90? Pipe, liner, and cap are clean and the other top vented Keystone never smokes even though it has a shorter chimney. The Fireview never spilled smoke with the exact same setup.

Other than the smoke, so far the stove is working out great, heats the whole 2000 sq ft house by itself but the weather has been warming up into the 30's. Been doing 2 loads per day just like the Fireview, plenty of coals after 12 hours. The burns and air settings are the same between the 2 Keystones. Both snuff out the flame a little under #1 and both give me a good hot fire a little over #1.

Todd said:
Thanks for all the kind words. I may have to swap around to the top vent, really don't want to but I'm getting some smoke spilage during reloads and I'm thinking it has to be that rear vent 90? Pipe, liner, and cap are clean and the other top vented Keystone never smokes even though it has a shorter chimney. The Fireview never spilled smoke with the exact same setup.

Other than the smoke, so far the stove is working out great, heats the whole 2000 sq ft house by itself but the weather has been warming up into the 30's. Been doing 2 loads per day just like the Fireview, plenty of coals after 12 hours. The burns and air settings are the same between the 2 Keystones. Both snuff out the flame a little under #1 and both give me a good hot fire a little over #1.

Todd,

FWIW, I'm not getting any smoke spillage on my Keystone with the rear exit. I've got it necked down to 6 inch coming out of the stove and then straight onto my chimney - which is 6 inch too. It makes a 90 degre turn in my chimney. But my stack is short too. In addition, my liner has sagged a bit and instead of a 1/4 inch rise per foot, I now have a slight decline - which I plan to fix this Spring, but the slight downward slope doesn't appear to be causing any draft problems. My liner is also rigid, smooth and insulated with 1/2 inch insulation.

Prior to relining, I didn't get spillage, but the firebox would fill with smoke sometimes on refill - and that was with the vertical set-up and one 90 elbow into the chimney.

I'm scratching my head on this one. I should think the problem lies with draft vs the stove set-up, but maybe eliminating an elbow may help. How's your glass - staying clear? I know now that on my old set-up my glass problems were in part not enough draft to make for a really hot (500ish stove top) fire.

Just some thoughts.

Bill

leeave96 said:
Todd said:

Todd,

FWIW, I'm not getting any smoke spillage on my Keystone with the rear exit. I've got it necked down to 6 inch coming out of the stove and then straight onto my chimney - which is 6 inch too. It makes a 90 degre turn in my chimney. But my stack is short too. In addition, my liner has sagged a bit and instead of a 1/4 inch rise per foot, I now have a slight decline - which I plan to fix this Spring, but the slight downward slope doesn't appear to be causing any draft problems. My liner is also rigid, smooth and insulated with 1/2 inch insulation.

Prior to relining, I didn't get spillage, but the firebox would fill with smoke sometimes on refill - and that was with the vertical set-up and one 90 elbow into the chimney.

I'm scratching my head on this one. I should think the problem lies with draft vs the stove set-up, but maybe eliminating an elbow may help. How's your glass - staying clear? I know now that on my old set-up my glass problems were in part not enough draft to make for a really hot (500ish stove top) fire.

Just some thoughts.

Bill

I don't know, it could just be the warmer weather. I'm still playing around but I have one more 90 than you. I use to get some smoke swirling just above the door on the Fireview but it didn't exit out. The door on the Keystone is different, closer to the top of the baffle than the Fireview so it doesn't have that extra space. I may bust out my tiles this summer and insulate or install a Supaflue system, still thinking.

The glass stays clean after the stove comes up to temp, cold starts and smouldering burns darken the lower corners a bit but burns off.

Changed my install from a rear vent to top vent and it made a big difference. I was having sluggish draft and a little smoking during reloads but no more. Woodstock says don't worry about that rear vent 90, it's a typical install and doesn't effect the draft. Well I can tell you it effected mine and with the top vent the stove can be turned down lower, doesn't smoke, gets hotter and has a better looking fire. The old Fireview didn't act this way with the same setup but the Keystone seems to be a different animal. 3 90's can make a big difference in draft as far as I can see.

Me and the wife really wanted to leave the rear vent for that extra soapstone trivet panel but I'm liking the performance of the top vent much better. I have about a 2.5' horizontal run but it still seems better than the old 3 90 elbow setup I had before.

Now when I burn the stove at .5 it burns like it use to at a little below 1 but I still get the lazy flame for a longer period. The pipe temps have gone up about 50 degrees. Stove top temps seem to be a bit higher as well, 650 with little flame and staying over 500 for a good 3 hours or more. I'm liking it.

Attachments

• 100_1456.jpg
    100_1456.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 989
You are as bad as me Todd. Can't stop tinkering with'em. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.