Anther damper question: do install or not during original stove install???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone,

Gearing up for installing my Mansfield in about 4 weeks. Question: since a damper is fairly inexpensive, should I install one regardless of if I end up needing one or not? If I turn out to not need it, I can't see much of a con of it being there, besides a little extra cleaning issues with the pipe. But, seems like a nice thing to have just in case I need to control the fire more than the air intake will allow. What do you think? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Hi everyone,

Gearing up for installing my Mansfield in about 4 weeks. Question: since a damper is fairly inexpensive, should I install one regardless of if I end up needing one or not? If I turn out to not need it, I can't see much of a con of it being there, besides a little extra cleaning issues with the pipe. But, seems like a nice thing to have just in case I need to control the fire more than the air intake will allow. What do you think? Cheers!

For your exact reasons are why I included one on my pipe. Although I have never used it.

I figure, for the 10 bux it cost, why not just in case.

pen

I put one on awhile back after running the stove without one...glad I did.

edit to add...I think that's something you'll have to do yourself. EPA regs and all...mums the word.

Thanks guys! Cheers!

Depends on your setup. If your chimney is over the 20' range I'd probably install one just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.