Antique Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waynek

Jan 15, 2009
Southern WI
whitepine.jpg

Last year a friend of mine gave me a white pine bolt from an ancient tree that was among a group of trees discovered buried in a bog in northern Wisconsin. Carbon-dating determined the age of the trees to be 1,600 plus years old. The bolt that was given to me was cut off a larger piece that was eventually crafted into pieces of furniture.

I cut some pieces with a bandsaw to be carved into various bird images. The remaining piece (not suitable for carving) was ceremoniously split with my Great-great grandfather's double-bit timber axe and splits were given to some members of my family. Each split had the carbon date, discovery date and location burned into the wood.

I had 4 splits left and the temptation overcame me and I burned one in the old Round Oak Stove.
Jackpine

Well, sure. If you waited any longer you'd need to install coal grate to burn it.
So, how'd it burn?

madrone said:
Well, sure. If you waited any longer you'd need to install coal grate to burn it.
So, how'd it burn?

I had the stove door open when the split burned...could not tell the difference from any other stick of wood. Only my mindset was different.
Jackpine

Old underwater wood like that is worth a very pretty penny for making musical instruments. I'm not sure if white pine is the right kind of wood for that purpose, though.

karri0n said:
Old underwater wood like that is worth a very pretty penny for making musical instruments. I'm not sure if white pine is the right kind of wood for that purpose, though.

I do not know if white pine is used in the manufacture of musical instruments either. Other tree species such as Red oak, Hemlock and Yellow birch were pulled out of the same bog and I don't know if they are used in musical instruments.

What is curious to me is a whole new industry has been developed to recover timber submerged in water. A local Department of Natural Resources Forester told me that he believes there are submerged "old growth" tree logs in the Wisconsin River and its tributaries worth millions of dollars. I replied --- I know, I have hit a few with my outboard motor.
Jackpine

Status
Not open for further replies.