Antique Glenwood parlor stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbrown

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Hartland,Me.
i recently had an old Glenwood or Glenburn(will check tomorrow for sure) given to me. this is an antique parlor stove i believ.

the stove has the fancy cast scroll work with a picture of i believe 2 men on the front doors, and still has the original copper and nickel water pot on top, that looks like it will hold about 1- 1 1/2 cups of water.

the back is cracked and has been repaired so it is not safe for burning. tha only date i can find on this beauty is 1873 or something like that.does anyone know wher i can find a reproduction back , or a salvage one? this has the stove pipe connection in the back as well.

i would really like to fix this and have it cleaned up and re-blacked to set in my dining room as it is the only antique peice i own, and has sentimental value.

thanx ,
mike

ps. forgot to mention the stove also has the swing out dome top with a flat top below it

I'll bet the Goodtime Stove Company could help you out. If you search this site you'll be able to find their ad.. It's a fun site and the refurbished stoves are just beautiful. There is another stove business in Wakefield, NH (I believe) that I stumbled on searching here, too. They could offer some good insight, too.

Nice that you're interesting in saving that time traveller from being turned into an imported car, too!

You are not too terribly far from Bryant Stove Works (www.http://bryantstove.com) in Thorndike. They are probably Maine's oldest and most experienced company dealing with the repair and restoration of antique stoves. They also stock a great many parts. I'm sure they would be a great help to you. BTW: Glenwood was a large manufacturer of quality stoves from parlor heaters to kitchen ranges.

fraxinus and bobbin,
thank you very much. i followed the links from bobbins post and found a stove that is VERY similar to mine fully restored...what a beauty

this is the stove i found...i would love to have it fully retored and functional. as for the time being i would just set it in the dining for show....what a gogeous piece of art

mike

Attachments

• antique glenwood.jpg
    antique glenwood.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,417
mjbrown65 said:
this is the stove i found...i would love to have it fully retored and functional. as for the time being i would just set it in the dining for show....what a gogeous piece of art

mike

That's beautiful! Hope you can get all that you need to get it going.

girl and shari,
thanx for your replies...i think i am going to give bryants a call on manday as their shop is about 30-45 miles from my house. i can transport the stove myself and save the shipping. i will be willing to spend the money to have the stove restored to original...as long as the wife doesnt hang me(and that could very well happen) LOL

mike

Allow plenty of time for your visit to Bryant's...

If you enjoy antique stoves, especially cook stoves, you'll be knocked out... at least I was when I stopped there on a road trip in 1994.

Nice people, too.

Peter B.

-----

hi again shari,

just curious...do you have any pics of that giant oak #417 ?

i would love to see what it looks like, the ones i have seen today on the links you folks all posted look awesome

mike

Mike,

Ours is nothing special like yours. We have no nickel or chrome accents - just a plain black pot belly stove. It sits in our kitchen as a decorative piece. let me see if I can charge up the batteries for my camera and if so will send you a picture.

Shari

hmmmmm....update from the boss...showed her the pic of the one i posted, and told her where i would like to put it , and she said i better find out what its going to cost( also told her what it could be worth fully restored,i think that did it)

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.