Ants in my wood stacks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
I am in the process of reorganizing some of my wood stacks and have noticed a bunch of ants. The stacks are off the ground, I put 2-3" of gravel on dirt and then put down landscaping timbers on the gravel and then wood is stacked on that.

Should I do anything about it or just let them be? The stacks are like 50 feet from the house. I was thinking of getting some of this http://www.spectracide.com/Products...e-and-Done-Insect-Killer-Concentrate-RTS.aspx

and spraying it on the wood stacks, but am concerned that it might not be a good idea if I burn any of the wood in a fire pit and someone wants to roast marshmallows or something.

Scott

Are they carpenter ants? Carpenter ants only burrow in wet wood. If your wood is dry, they won't be making a home there.

I don't think so, they look like small "normal" ants to me...

Scott

Scoooter said:
I don't think so, they look like small "normal" ants to me...

Scott

Then live and let live! As long as they don't start stealing your wood.

atleast they arent red and bite like h*ll like we have down here!!

Just throw 'em in the fire and ignore their little screams when they light up!

I would spray anything directly on the wood. I used the same thing only in granules before I started stacking. That's some good stuff and will control the little buggers.

fv

Sisu said:
Are they carpenter ants? Carpenter ants only burrow in wet wood. If your wood is dry, they won't be making a home there.
+1

Those tiny sweet ants are harmless.. I wouldn't worry about them as they do no harm...

Ray

Normal ants will most likely not be at all interested in your wood . . . carpenter ants wil most likely not be attracted to your split wood either . . . especially if it is kept off the ground and allowed to stay dry (more or less.)

Thanks to all.

The wood is up off the ground but I will sprinkle some granules around the base for good measure.

Now if only the two wolf spiders would leave my pile so I can stack it!!!!!!!!!!

I hate spiders with a passion!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.