Any advice on grilling on coals in the woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I have a couple of nice ribeyes, a nice bed of coals in the woodstove and a grill outside in the cold. I would rather stay in. I am thinking about taking a few bricks and laying one of the grates over them and cooking them. How do you eliminate or reduce flare ups in the stove? Do you shut the door?

That's tempting but I wouldn't want that greasy smoke going up my chimney.
OTOH...a nice coal bed is probably around 650 degrees so the meat would only be in there for a couple minutes per side.
Personally I wouldn't do it.

How much "greasy smoke" could there possibly be? It is not like the lid of your grill is caked with gobs of grease? The stove top was around 500, I choked down the damper, 4 min a side and perfect medium. Good flavor. I think I would do it again. Anybody do dutch oven cooking in there stove? I want to do some long, slow cooking this winter.

I like cooking in my stove, I have a double grill and sit it on top of two logs, stake cooks in a few minutes on each side . If the flames are low there is not much grease .

Status
Not open for further replies.