Any concern about the effects of rotten tree centers on chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Just spent a couple hours working a very large Red Oak trunk. Seems it must have been hit by lightning causing extensive rot through the center of the tree. It ran upwards of 25 feet of the trunk. Kind of seemed as if it was taking the edge off the chain. I kept cutting but tried to keep the bar out of the center. It seemed to help.

Yes its going to wreck chains semi chisel chain would be best for that job.

especially if there were any grubs, or squirrels or racoons in there. they drag in dirt and put out **** that dulls chains quickly.

i finished cutting up the Silver Maple from my front yard this week & found rot including piles of "dirt", nice fat old grubs... I left those parts 'till the end & they dulled the chain quick.
One hollow spot was full of mybe a half-gallon of water or sap that didn't spill out 'till I cut through & it came spraying & pouring out. That was a surprise!

If you are accustomed to touching up your chain quite often then you won't notice it too much but it will have some effect. If you don't sharpen very often, you will when cutting this!

Rotten wood is different than muddy, grubby wood. Are you folks saying that the wood takes on an abrasive quality due to rot? Or are you saying that the other things attracted to rotten wood are abrasive? I have many many trees with a soft or punky center that I use for firewood.

Hi Folks...over the years I have cut many a tree that was in various stages of rot on the inside. Of these trees I don't recall anything but grubs...no other creepy crawlies or small animals. Never noticed my chain dulling any faster with the rotten on the inside trees then healthy ones. I put the file to my chain regularly as I'm cutting to keep it real sharp. And another note...rotten or hollow trees are dangerous to cut because they will jig when you think they are going to jag...even more then healthy trees. Tap the truck with a maul before cutting to see if it's rotten or hollow on the inside. Just a thought. Franklin

midwestcoast said:
i finished cutting up the Silver Maple from my front yard this week & found rot including piles of "dirt", nice fat old grubs... I left those parts 'till the end & they dulled the chain quick.
One hollow spot was full of mybe a half-gallon of water or sap that didn't spill out 'till I cut through & it came spraying & pouring out. That was a surprise!

Thats funny, I just cut up a crap load of silver maple last night and cut through at least 3 or 4 dead squirrell carcasses. Kinda freaked me out a bit as I wasn't expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.