Any Firefox experts? My install is driving me crazy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have some kind of strange URL redirection/hijack thing happening every few google searches. I will have a good search result to what I am looking for but it takes me to another website that is not what that link was supposed to do. I run all kinds of major virus and malware scanners (malwarebytes, Symantec, AVG, etc.) and keep them updated but something got on my system and I can't shake it. I think maybe one of my Firefox addins got hijacked so I decided to completely uninstall Firefox and told it to remove all settings and everything. Then I reinstalled Firefox from a fresh download. Somehow the clean install found all my prior addins and they are once again enabled! WTF? I am trying to blow it all away and start with a fresh Firefox then add any addins I want if I even want any again. I have a few popular ones I like but wan tto start off without them. How to totally uninstall and get a fresh Firefox install??!?!

Can you provide the search term and the number of the entry in the returned search results that is being redirected?

Is this a Windows machine?

Wahoo, do a search for "search bar hijackers". Had it happen to me a while back and the things are tough to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.