Any furniture burners here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CALJREICH

Feb 19, 2010
PENNSYLVANIA
It was so cold here the other night I almost burnt one of our end tables.

Just wondered has anyone burned any furniture for heat this season or ever. Like to hear any stories you might have.

Yep burned a set of oak chairs from the previous owners of my house. They were beat to hell and not reparable that's why they left them in the basement. Made great kindling

I use all the scraps from woodworking as kindling, but never an actual piece of furniture.

But why would have burning your end table helped with warmth?
Not enough wood?

I've used a old chair or two,plus a junk bookcase & dresser picked up off the curb for kindling,nothing of any value though.Most of the newer stuff people toss out now is particle board with either formica or a vinyl woodgrain decal,you shouldnt be burning that crap anyway.But plywood and/or solid lumber is OK in small pieces,its no different than burning pallets or dunnage.

reminds me of an old family wivestale: my mom said when she was growing up,
that they were so poor that they had to burn the furniture one time for heat.

Somehow, I doubt this was required but I don't doubt that it happened.

Just got the new quadrafire in before Christmas. Have not burned any furnature yet, but every scrap of 2*4 from construstion was burned in the inaugural fire and every paper plate, peice of cardboard, gracery bag, etc, I can find is free heat to me.

I burn lots of furniture, dressers, tables(solid wood not laminate) you name it. I leave the hardware right on. After my boiler is up to temp though I can't put in that kiln dried stuff, it gassifies too fast. Randy

I'll just burn scraps from making or restoring furniture. Occassionaly I will get a white cedar lawn chair that someone is tossing and turn it into kindling. I did burn a crappy broken nutcracker figure that I did not want to fix this past weekend.

Hi -

Just scraps for kindling fires at home.

My Aunt & Uncle in Upstate Ny used to burn Ash baseball bat rejects by the truckload. When camping with some friends they brought a large pile of waste wood from a coffin shop, and another time they brought wood from a wooden brush factory.

ATB,

Mike

I threw a cheap coffee table that the kids chewed up pretty bad playing with toys in the house.
It was cheap,cheap, cheap. And easy to damage.
I got tired of gluing the base corner chipped out pieces back on.
I kept the top for a big desk for a 21 inch monitor and tossed the rest of it in the fireplace.
Besides some of it being formed particleboard some of the wood wasn't much denser than cork.

Surprisingly the top has stood up well and I still have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.