Any good advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morewood

Dec 20, 2011
West NJ
I'm new to the forum so please excuse me if questions have already been answered. I just picked up a Quaker Stove Co. Moravian Insert in real nice shape with the original owners manual. I realize stoves have come a long way since and the venting into my existing flu is not the latest or best technology, but I've had some roaring fires and draft or blow back has never been a problem.

The manual calls to use Silver Seal where the trim kit meets the firebox. I assume this was one of their products used to help create more of an airtight seal. Would foil tape work or is there a product out there that is like Silver Seal? Also, since alot of old inserts probably operate in a similiar way, has anyone ever fitted a connection from the top of the stove to the flu to make a direct connection?

There are several adapters available from manufacturers. We used to have them custom built when we couldn't make an off the shelf one work. I would highly recommend the lining. In the mean time get some insulation strips and pinch them between the the fireplace face and the surround, then use your foil tape or some high temp silicone OR if its and uneven stone fireplace use mortar to fill the gaps. You want to make sure that the seal between the surround and the fireplace is tight. In the event of a chimney fire it impedes air supply (to an extent) and prevents backdrafting of the fire.

Thanks Shane. Pretty much what I was planning on doing, and now with more confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.