Any good ideas on making a rake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
I watched the video lastnight that was posted on here. ( The one with John and Vanessa that has the corny script reading ). Great video. Very informative. I looked around town for a rake and couldnt find one. I use a shovel now but it doesnt cut it.They sell stove rakes online but after shipping its pretty expensive. I know I can make one that will suit the purpose. I'm not a welder, so thats out.. I thought about bying a shovel and bending it. Any brain storms out there??

I took a rectangular plate of steel and ground four teeth into one side of it. I left the other side solid to use as an ash hoe. I bolted the plate to what was the whisk before the wife melted the bristles. The handle of the whisk is a bit short so gloves are good idea if there are lots of hot coals.

Thats what I did. Had an old fireplace shovel with longer handle than my ash shovel. cut the sidewalls bent it over and raked away.It is by no means pretty but it does its job and does it fine.Was thinking of cutting some slots into it for tines so ash with flow through .

I had a 12" wide garden rake with a handle that broke off a few years ago. Have you ever tried to buy a replacement handle for a garden tool? It costs almost as much as the tool does. So I never replaced the handle and threw it in the back of my garage. Then, when I got a wood stove - instant coal rake. Works great.

I used a fireplace tool set that I paid a buck for at a yard sale to make mine. Took it apart and used the pieces. Since the pic was taken I have hacksawed the two ears off of the top.

Attachments

• ashrake.jpg
    ashrake.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,437
BrotherBart said:
...I have hacksawed the two ears off of the top.

So it can't hear what you're saying to it?

DBoon said:
I had a 12" wide garden rake with a handle that broke off a few years ago. Have you ever tried to buy a replacement handle for a garden tool? It costs almost as much as the tool does. So I never replaced the handle and threw it in the back of my garage. Then, when I got a wood stove - instant coal rake. Works great.

Thats a great idea. I'm looking more for a coal rake like a garden ho, which after reading your post, I think I just may have a broken one in my shed. That would be sweet.....Thanks

Our bent poker works well enough as a rake for us sometimes...less is more.

An ash rake is a must. I made one from steel bar and plate,
and then found another at www.Northlineexpress.com.

Great useful tool for any serious wood burner!

westkywood said:
RETIRED GVA said:
A tribute to roospike
I still wonder where he went!!!!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4439/
Simple and cheap

I like this idea too. A spatula. Whoda thunk? Thanks.
Teeth are too close together so it won't sift through the ashes well. Wider spacing is needed to separate coals from the ashes.

They make ash sifters by cutting small holes into a shovel but those work by gravity and vigorous shaking. When dragging a rake horizontally, gravity is not on your side.

LLigetfa said:
westkywood said:
RETIRED GVA said:
A tribute to roospike
I still wonder where he went!!!!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4439/
Simple and cheap

I like this idea too. A spatula. Whoda thunk? Thanks.
Teeth are too close together so it won't sift through the ashes well. Wider spacing is needed to separate coals from the ashes.

They make ash sifters by cutting small holes into a shovel but those work by gravity and vigorous shaking. When dragging a rake horizontally, gravity is not on your side.

I'm looking for something to rake all the coals and ashes. The spatula thing would work fine. I found an old ho in my building that I think will work just fine. A little bigger than I really needed, but it'll do for now. Thanks for the responses.

westkywood said:
I found an old ho in my building that I think will work just fine. A little bigger than I really needed, but it'll do for now.

I bet that was a big surprise. :coolgrin:

I keep a supply of ready rod so I picked a 3' piece of 1/2". I drilled a 3" by 6" piece of steel and bolted the rod to the steel. Just cut whatever size teeth you want. I curled the other end to give me a good handle then rapped it in electrical tape to keep the threads from bothering my hands. It works great and is strong enough to push and shove large pieces while still working as a rake. If someone has a deep stove like the T6 a long rake is very convenient.

I bought mine at a garage sale for 50 cents and cut the handle short. Cheap solution. Or a garden flower rake, already has a short handle.

Look at a hardware store where they sell kids garden tools. The rake is the right size for the head. Just cut the long handle down to size.

BrotherBart said:
westkywood said:
I found an old ho in my building that I think will work just fine. A little bigger than I really needed, but it'll do for now.

I bet that was a big surprise. :coolgrin:

Oops. I may have spelt that wrong...LOL

gzecc said:
Look at a hardware store where they sell kids garden tools. The rake is the right size for the head. Just cut the long handle down to size.

I like this idea....

I fab'd this up last year out of some 2" L-Angle and 1/2" round stock, a little over kill but it works

Attachments

• P1010013 (2).jpg
    P1010013 (2).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 869
  • P1010011 (2).jpg
    P1010011 (2).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 673
What a coincidence I just made this one. I haven't had a chance to get to a welder so I made this puppy up out of 3/8 threaded rod and a piece of galvanized slotted angle pounded flat with a hammer. Simple not too attractive but I think it will work. I like the spatula idea though.

Attachments

• IMG_2027-40.jpg
    IMG_2027-40.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 650
Status
Not open for further replies.