Any good pictures of solo 40 installs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictures aren't nearly as helpful as the diagrams posted in the stickies at the top of the Boiler Room forum. I'd start there...

Best picture I could give is the one that BioheatUSA designed.

I agree, diagrams are a lot more helpful that photos. Best to use one of the diagrams at the back of the manual or download from our web site. Is there a particular reason you are looking for photos? Something specific you want a closer look at? If so, I'll look around the computer here and see if we can send something your way. Let me know. Chris.

I think diagrams are helpful, but I actual do think that diagrams are much more useful in combination with pictures. Maybe just the way my mind works, but when plumbing the back of my Tarm I found diagrams not very helpful by themselves, but when supplemented with pics, very easy to understand.

I would think diagrams work really well for someone that works with the stuff all the time, pictures work better for the rest of us.

I'm sort of the opposite - I find diagrams very easy to follow, but frankly a lot of the pictures that I've seen posted here are hard to follow other than as a mashup of pipes... I think a lot of it is because it's very hard to have a picture that is big enough to cover the entire system, while having enough detail to follow the pipes around - especially when you have pipes that are crossing in front of each other, or overlapping, as it can be hard to tell what connects to what...

OTOH, a diagram can be "flattened" so it all fits in one page, with the actual sizes of the different parts ignored as needed to make it all go together...

I would agree with the earlier posts, tell us what you have to connect, and we can often come up with several different ways to tie it all together...

Gooserider

I guess my question relates to very basic "rules of the road".

Such as...does an expansion tank have to be above any other piping, or are they usually elevated just to get them out of the way?

My other problem with schematics/diagrams in general is, they don't match up with provided photos. For instance, picture in Solo 40 install manual shows overheat zone coming out of tapping for pressure relief valve, but diagram shows it coming out of general supply pipe. Either one would work. but it does lead to confusion for some of us. Also, diagram shows pipe to overheat zone with a rather random union before the automag. It would have been much clearer to draw the union much closer to the automag, as this is where it would logically be.

I know it's just the nature of schematics. I occasionally need to follow electrical schematics to repair golf course equipment and they can be frustrating. Eventually all makes sense, but schematics certainly aren't the same as "maps".

I'm done venting. Back to my cup of coffee and my soldering torch!

penfrydd

penfrydd said:
I guess my question relates to very basic "rules of the road".

Such as...does an expansion tank have to be above any other piping, or are they usually elevated just to get them out of the way?
Depends... If one is doing a high tank "open" system where the system is pressurized by the water column, then the ET absolutely has to be above everything else. On a closed system, it is customary for various reasons to put the ET connection to the rest of the system at the boiler outlet. If the ET is small, putting it at the connection point is simple and logical. However if you have a big ET, then it isn't at all unusual to have a pipe running from the connection point over to the tank itself, which can be put anywhere.

[/quote]My other problem with schematics/diagrams in general is, they don't match up with provided photos. For instance, picture in Solo 40 install manual shows overheat zone coming out of tapping for pressure relief valve, but diagram shows it coming out of general supply pipe. Either one would work. but it does lead to confusion for some of us. Also, diagram shows pipe to overheat zone with a rather random union before the automag. It would have been much clearer to draw the union much closer to the automag, as this is where it would logically be.

I know it's just the nature of schematics. I occasionally need to follow electrical schematics to repair golf course equipment and they can be frustrating. Eventually all makes sense, but schematics certainly aren't the same as "maps".

I'm done venting. Back to my cup of coffee and my soldering torch!

penfrydd[/quote] A lot of the confusion I think may relate to the idea that there are several different "levels" of diagram... At the highest level, you can have "concept" diagrams that just show the major components, without worrying about fittings, pipe sizes, and so forth, and then go down to deeper and deeper levels of detail until you get to the "blueprint" level that should be an exact map of the system as it will be turned into hardware...

The people posting them don't always make it clear what level of drawing they are posting, and may not even be sure themselves... My own preference is to have the level of detail needed, but no more than that...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.