Any hardwood flooring experts in the house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I just paid someone to install oak flooring in my family room. Without getting into the details it didn't end well. I got a C install, not a C+ but still passable. After 3 coats of high gloss I've got some lint an a couple of spots of grit which are in a place that I can't hide with a rug. What I want to do is lightly sand and re-coat, because even if I call the guy back I really don't think he's going to do any better of a job. Live and learn.

I can do this right? Just scuff the whole floor with a light sanding pad and lightly re-coat? The final coat was applied around 9AM. I plan to wait a day and then sand, and coat again, or should I just live with it?

I'm guessing that if you're asking then the answer is no, you probably don't want to try it. You sure could, you'd want to know what product was used, water based or oil, and what the recoat times are. Usually you can recoat within a certain time or again after it has hardened fully.

But it doesn't sound that bad to me, and it is hard to get a perfect finish in an existing house. Just getting even coverage can be a challange with high gloss because you have a hard time seeing the wet edge.

A high gloss finish will show any imperfection, where a flatter or matte finish will hide them better. I think you have a higher probability of making the floor look worse, not better if you try to put another coat on yourself.

I'd call the guy back and see what he recommends. Hopefully he'll make it right, but if you put a another coat on the floor it will be your problem, not his.

Did you put the finish on and what was it?

I used water based the last time I did mine. ONe spot in the dining room did not take for some reason. I had to sand a small area and re do it - came out great. I believe you can do the same with oil. Just take your time and feather the sanding in as well as the touch up.

If the floor guy used oil based polly and you sand a small area it will Flash. Thant means it will look much more shinny. I would ask him to buff the floor with a pad and recoat. If he won"t do it I would just live with it. 3-4 years down the road have it buffed and coated and it will look great again.

Status
Not open for further replies.