Any Help with how to clean soot from Marble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom had a marble tabletop I used to clean with Windex.
Don't see why it wouldn't work well for you too.

zeta said:
Mom had a marble tabletop I used to clean with Windex.
Don't see why it wouldn't work well for you too.

That was the first thing I used. I also use 409,Fantastic,Goo gone ,Gunk remover,Bleach.Nothing works

Wow that's some tough soot you got there man!

Time to try Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

I recall trying to clean an old white marble fascia on a fireplace in our Elks Lodge room.(circa 1908)

Nothing touched it. I have concluded marble is probably quite porous (ok , it`s a myth) and once it gets discolored it becomes a real problem.
Of course I`m no expert and maybe/hopefully someone knows the secret.

OK, here`s what appears to be a good place to seek help:
http://www.countertopspecialty.com/cleaning-marble.html

From that link that Gio provided, I saw this, although you already said you tried this:

QUESTION:
The marble around my gas log fireplace has darkened apparently from the fire/heat. I have used Ivory soap and water and gotten some brownish stuff off, but I doubt seriously that it all came off. Should I simply go to a marble place (like the kind of place that makes gravestones???) and get a cleaner?

ANSWER:

Is the marble polished (shiny) or honed (matte finish)?

If it is honed, then I'd use a mild bleach solution (1/2 ounce bleach in 16 oz. spray bottle) and a soft-bristle brush.

If it is polished, then use MB-9 Stain Remover.

For either one, just spray on, wipe around an let soak. Then go back, spray a bit more and scrub.

Status
Not open for further replies.