Any hints on removing casing on Tarm Solo Plus?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I am looking at a used Solo Plus, There is not a lot of detail in the manual on the casing. Anyone have any pictures of the boiler minus the casing?. My guess is moving it is best done with the casing off?.

I didn't on mine BUT I don't know anything about yours.

My Tarm has a lifting eye under the top cover. It rode in the back of my truck from NY to MA then MA to ME all assembled without a care in the world. Not a single scratch.

On my first boiler I stripped the casing and assumed I might do the same on this one. If there is lifting eye I may be able to remove it and move it to my place but the loading into my basement may not be as abuse friendly due to poor access.

I had very easy access thru the garage door into my wood room and thru a double steel door. Did it all by myself. My Bridgeport milling machine was a little tougher but also not a problem.
It helps when you design the house. LOL

image.jpg
Just landed up here. Maybe this will help you.
Like I said prior, not your same boiler but maybe this is more clear than your copy.

Thanks, I was reading the assembly instructions for the jacket and there was some refractory work required around the loading doors. I really wanted to avoid that. Looks like I can get them off pretty quick.

Luckily the boiler is about 5 minutes from my house so I can make a couple of runs to get it prepped and ready to go.

Well as of this afternoon, I will start removal. The homeowner gave me until the end of October to get it removed. it may not get reinstalled this winter as my current boiler still runs well and switching the controls over is going to require some pretty major changes.

At some point I need to see if anyone has suggestions on stocking up on any specialized spare parts?. My guess is the curved refractory piece is probably one of them.

My understanding from Chris at Tarm is that the refractory parts are all easily obtained thru them and that it is a viable part of his business.
My electronics were a hard to obtain item so I did buy a spare. When I'm not using the boiler I keep the power off to the unit.

Good to hear. I got the piping stripped off (not without a soaking) and the top, side and rear panels taken off yesterday. Someone had put a screw through the strips that hold one of the sides. It came out hard. It may be a few weeks before I actually move it out of the basement so I left the front panel on as otherwise the boiler would stink from creosote in the firebox. I will need to check out the electronics as my current Burnham has none, its all Tstats and relays. Something strange with draining the boiler. I hooked a hose to the drain on the lower left hand front corner and nothing came out. I assumed it was drained until I broke the flanges on the return water pump connected to the back of the boiler and got a gusher. I need to check the drain valve on the next visit to make sure its not plugged as I sure do not want anymore weight in it than the minimum.

I was surprised that there is no trace of turbolators in the tubes, they are clean but I will need to research if its supposed to have them. One of the reasons it getting taken out is that they had three combustion devices (the Tarm, a VC stove and an oil boiler) all on one flue. My guess is draft was an issue so if there were turbulators my guess is someone would have taken them out.

Turbulators are used depending on your temps. Mine did not have them and Tarm did not have any in stock so I had them made. Easy peasy and cheap.

If your boiler has the pressure sensor, it’s a joke. Mine was removed and plugged. Boiler was running strange when I first started burning and shutting down for no real reason other than the other temp sensors were installed funky. Boiler would shut down on over temperature for no reason as it was not over heating.

Called a guy yesterday to install a liner in my tile. My draft numbers are in spec but I’m not getting that blast furnace look in the chamber and the burns are kinda slow IMO.

Well I got the solo 40 out of the basement where it was located and to my driveway. I ended up using my backhoe to pull it out. I tired using my loader bucket but it was too heavy. Lots of things to hit but it came out clean. Its going to go into storage over the winter and I will decide if I install it in place of my Burnham. I have no doubt that it was 1000 pounds plus. I think the seller was happy she sold it to me as the opportunity to make a mess getting it out was definitely there. I am real glad it was nearby as if I had to go on the road to grab it on one shot it would have been a long day.

Reactions: Bad LP