Any Moon shots from last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxpellet

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2007
Bronx, NY
The best time was to be @ 7:30 PM, got back to the house later and this was all I could get, anyone have any at that time?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 496
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 472
It was cloudy last night, but here is mine from Friday night before:
Moon 03-18-11 (2).jpg

BXpellet said:
Great shot what are 25' from the moon :)
I used my Canon point and shoot camera on a tripod. Nothing special. Just zoomed in (optical only, no digital zoom). The secret is that I took 220 pictures of it and then ran those through a free program called RegiStax. That was the result.

quads said:
BXpellet said:
I used my Canon point and shoot camera on a tripod. Nothing special. Just zoomed in (optical only, no digital zoom). The secret is that I took 220 pictures of it and then ran those through a free program called RegiStax. That was the result.

RegiStax is that just for Astronomy pictures or can it be used for other shots (landscape, etc. )

BXpellet said:
RegiStax is that just for Astronomy pictures or can it be used for other shots (landscape, etc. )
Just for astronomy. And not even for stars or night sky pictures, but just for the moon and planets (planets through a telescope of course).

Wow, your phone camera must have more megapixel’s than mine!

Steve

Wow Quads . . . fantastic photo . . . that's one of those photos you should print out and frame . . . very nice.

Stunning pic Quads. We were driving through the Catskills Friday night when it rose up between the hills. It was magnificent.

Our Quads is a man of many talents! Awesome photo! :)

Amazing detailed moon shot Quads! You only used a Canon point and shoot camera?? How much optical zoom does your Canon provide?

Ray

Our skies too were cloudy...but the morning was great!! The large full moon setting on the western horizon while the orange/red sun rose in the east...cool!

Thanks for the tip on RegiStax!! Will have to use it next time by bro-in-law comes out with his telescope.

Next night with clouds

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 305
Thanks. I do it all the time, have been practicing for years. I use my Canon PowerShot SX100 IS which has 10x optical, the same camera that I use for most of my pictures. The picture above I used my bigger Canon PowerShot SX20 IS with 20x optical. They both take Moon pictures very well, when I stack a bunch of them using RegiStax (downloaded for free from the web).

I also do night sky/star photos, but I haven't done any new ones for a long time. For stacking those, I use Deep Sky Stacker (also a free download from the web).

I have a little telescope, but I don't take pictures through it. I don't have a good way to mount the camera to the eyepiece and for several other reasons it just doesn't work well for me to use it for pictures. Mrs. Quads uses the telescope more than I do. She likes hunting for star clusters with it.

Great shots of the moon. I wished I could of seen it myself. Was looking after my newborn baby boy last night. Looking forward to telling him about the moon on the night he was born.

Not my pic, someone posted it on the local tv station's website.

Attachments

• 031911 full moon.jpg
    031911 full moon.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 250
Awesome Quads

Billy

quads said:
BXpellet said:

Camera settings please. How did you take 200+ consecutive shots? How much time in between? Process details please. THANKS

Mikey said:
How about this shot?
I was testing my flying machine. Didn't realize anybody took a picture of me!

Mikey said:
quads said:
BXpellet said:

Camera settings please. How did you take 200+ consecutive shots? How much time in between? Process details please. THANKS
Well, the settings are different each time depending on the phase of the Moon (how bright it is). I used to go nuts trying to figure out just what setting to use, so now I let the camera fiigure it out:

I use spot metering, then I make a note of what the camera decides is the best ISO, F-stop, and shutter speed. Then I flip the camera to manual mode and set it up to match the settings. I lock the tripod so that the moon is in the corner of the frame that will allow it to glide across the picture for the longest amount of time. My Canon cameras have a timer setting that tells it to take 10 shots each time the timer goes off. So, I push the shutter button, the timer goes off, the camera takes ten shots, then I push the shutter button again. I keep doing this, taking ten shots at a time, until the moon finally drifts to the other side of the frame. Then I load all of them into RegiStax and let it do it's thing. By the way, RegiStax is kind of a quirky program and took me a long time to figure it out.

For the picture I posted here, the settings on each of the 220 shots was:
f5.7
1/320 second
ISO 100
focal length 100mm
3840x2160 pixels

WOW!!! That's a picture like from NASA.

I saw the moon the last time it was huge, about 18 yrs ago. I was driving to Louisville. It was in front of me all the way. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.