Any need to spilt 2" maple/ash rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't. I only split rounds if over 4", just over hand grabbing size.

The only reason that I split anything small is that it does seem to speed drying-- but if you're far ahead on your wood, then you have time to let it dry without splitting.

I use 2" rounds to prop my regular splits on when starting up a fire. They help circulate air under wood which gets things started easier. They also burn nicely and, since they aren't split, last longer which hilps the fire get established and hot.

I usually cut them into 9" lengths and let them season for a full year before using. Since they are small they don't take up much space. They add up fast and I probably have 2-3 years worth waiting to be used. Husband and I just cut up locust yesterday - a dead limb so it will season pretty quick. He wanted to toss the small stuff. I wouldn't let him. It's like throwing $ away to me. I even use the twigs as kindling....

I treat the small rounds the same way todd, pybyr and perplexed treat theirs. If I can comfortable hold the end of the round with one hand it is considered a small round. A buddy thinks I am wasting my time saving twigs for kindling. I think I am wasting money if I don't. Perplexed is right.

No need to split . . . I subscribe to the one-hand "reasoning" mentioned previously. I actually adopted this reasoning from a friend who has always said if he can easily grasp a round with one hand there is no need to split it.

Hi Frank.
2" is too small to split. But when you are stacking them in your stove, you won't get a lot of air circulation around them to help start a fire. Use some kindling, off-round pieces or cross-stack the wood to make sure the flames can move about easily.
Happy burning,
Larry

Splitting speeds and assures seasoning. Its amazing how some of those small pieces sizzle like crazy when you think they are seasoned. Now 2" is pretty small to try and split. When I get to 3" if its straight I may try and split it, anything bigger is most likely gonna get a whack or two

2" is too small to split. I split about 4" or more. With that said, those small unsplit rounds do seem to take a very long time to season.

Most of the time I split 2" rounds that are straight enough to make me think they will split easily. The ones with knots I don't usually bother to try to split. I use an axe held against the end of the round, then tap the round on the chopping block to split. It goes pretty easily, and I skip the ones that give me trouble. When I am more tired or busy, I sometimes raise the splitting size up to three or four inches diameter to save time.

They definitely dry more quickly when split, but I think a 2 inch stick would dry pretty well even when not split. I guess the main reason I split small pieces is because I enjoy doing it, more than i think it is necessary. However, if I was preparing wood for the upcoming winter, I would split as much as possible to make sure the wood is dry.

Two inches is a stick. I use'em for kindling.

2 in. would go on the brush pile!

I find that the wood wiz is good for splitting 2" sticks if they're cut even reasonably straight on both ends. Unless they're fairly short, 2" sticks won't stand on their own to split w/ ax or hatchet, but the 'wiz can keep 'em standing straight 'till they split (helps to butt them up agains my splitting stump).

Of course, as others have said, 2-inchers will season just fine all on their own w/o splitting. I just split some of them to get a variety of sizes for building up fires in the old FP.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I wouldn't bother. These 2 to 3" rounds are perfect for packing a stove at night. They fit in where small splits can't, especially at the top of the stove.

Attachments

• small rounds.jpg
    small rounds.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 218
well, if you dont have any kindling, that size makes for some easy hand splitting. that is what I would do

Status
Not open for further replies.