Any one hear about a Hearthstone $150.00 discount?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeRJGR

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Well,

I have been trying to choose one Hearthstone dealer over another. Both offered the same exact prices, but one didn't want me to pull permits, which made nervous regardless if I actually pull the permits or not. So I inform the dealer who doesnt want me to pull permits that I am not going with him, and he says that Hearthstone is now offering a $150.00 discount between now and Feb 2nd or something....nothing on their website....just wondering if anyone has heard of this? I hope its true, and then I can get the other dealer to give me a $150.00 off!

As usual..thanks!

Even if it's not, let the 'good' dealer know that that's what it'll take for your business. Good luck.

S

JoeRJGR said:
Well,

I have been trying to choose one Hearthstone dealer over another. Both offered the same exact prices, but one didn't want me to pull permits, which made nervous regardless if I actually pull the permits or not. So I inform the dealer who doesn't want me to pull permits that I am not going with him, and he says that Hearthstone is now offering a $150.00 discount between now and Feb 2nd or something....

Can't help you with the discount, but have a recommendation for the dealers. Run, I mean RUN, from the no permit dealer. That is not protecting you at all, it is self serving for the dealer. If something goes wrong you are stuck, violating the install requirements you could have your homeowners insurance canceled, or worse, if you have a fire your carrier could say, "NOT COVERED"!!!!!

I wouldn't rat him out to Hearthstone, but I may mention it to the compliance regulators. :smirk:

JoeRJGR said:
Well,

I have been trying to choose one Hearthstone dealer over another. Both offered the same exact prices, but one didn't want me to pull permits, which made nervous regardless if I actually pull the permits or not. So I inform the dealer who doesnt want me to pull permits that I am not going with him, and he says that Hearthstone is now offering a $150.00 discount between now and Feb 2nd or something....nothing on their website....just wondering if anyone has heard of this? I hope its true, and then I can get the other dealer to give me a $150.00 off!

As usual..thanks!

Hi Joe:

Still thinking about that Clydesdale...

I discovered that when I went shopping for an insert and an installer that some of the local installers were not "registered" contractors. I know this because the State of Idaho maintains a list of registered contractors that anyone can access through their web. You can check your proposed installer and see if he/she is registered.

Here in SE Idaho, one has to be a registered contractor to install a wood stove, insert, gas appliance, etc. if you are doing the work commercially - as a business. And to obtain a building permit here in my area, you must be a registered contractor if you are doing work for others commercially on someone else's home not your own. To obtain some types of contractor's registration in Idaho, you don't need proof of competency that you can actually perform the work, you just need proof of insurance. In most cases, it requires a minimum of $50,000 liability insurance. Of course there are exceptions to no requirement for demonstrated competency - such as electricians, plumbers, etc. - those who require professional licensure.

Why do some installers fly under the radar and do not obtain the required contractor's registration? Because they can't or don't want to spend the money to buy the minimum $50,000 in liability insurance. I found out that insurers want you to buy on the order of $300,000 liability or more - and that gets expensive. Competent contractors will have 1 million and more liability insurance.

So Joe, the bottom line is this: if a proposed contractor does not want you or him to obtain a building permit, it may be because he couldn't pull a permit if he wanted one. And without liability insurance you will be left holding the bag if anything goes wrong with your install.

So your instincts are right on this one. Like the man said, run from the guy who does not want you to pull a building permit for the install. As far the Hearthstone discount - I don't know, but you can check with other authorized dealers.

Thanks all,

Of course the dealer who didnt want me to pull permits now says its OK....and then added something about to have permits done, you need to have the fireplace inspected with a camera, and that will be another $350...I was barely listening at this point...just another move to have me not get the permits pulled...I checked with the fire inspector in town....yes we'll need a building permit $75.00, and he'll need to inspect it $75.00. But, he said exactly what I mentioned to my wife....if we dont have a permit, thats the insurnace companies out for not paying if something were to happen.

I am NOT using the nno-permit guy...I agree with you guys, the second he said you shouldnt bother to get a permit was the second I decided not use him....like I said, regardless if I was going to pull a permit or not......its a trust thing....

He is not registerd with the NFI...not sure about the state, but he uses subcontractors to do his installs.

The guy I am going with has his own employees that do his installs, is registered with the NFI and has been doing this for 35 years...verus 6 months for the other guy!!! Hopefully, he'll match the $150.00 discount...

Thanks again folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.