Any similar liners like Magnaflex Insul-flex preinsulated liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My neighbor is recommending a Magnaflex Insul-flex preinsulated liner. I like the idea of a preinsulated liner rather than installing a secondary liner over a flexible liner. Is this the way to go or is there a competing brand I should consider?

I'll be dropping this down a straight 8" prefab and connecting a tee on the bottom to go in the back of my Jotul.

Leads on where to buy is appreciated.

DuraLiner is an alternative that I would consider.

Thanks. Although I just checked their website and didn't see flexible liners prewrapped with insulation. I did see their double-wall product but not a flexliner?

Magnaflex isn't pre-wrapped either. It is double wall liner with insulation between the stainless inner and aluminum outer liner.

Hmmm...someone shared with me a direct contact with Magnaflex and the contact said MagnaFlex was recently acquired by another chimney liner manufacturer and this double wall flex liner was replaced with a different product. He suggested firesidechimneysupply dot com but I don't see a similar double-wall flex-liner available. Just the ones you wrap yourself or a rigid product.

I know olimpia makes a preinsulated flex liner havnt used it yet but in some situations i could see it being better. I am sure there are others out there we just mainly deal with olimpia but they only sell to pros i beleive

OK i was told here before you couldn't im glad they have good products and good customer support.

Is Olympia the company that bought out Magnaflex?

No. National Chimney bought'em.

Their website says they do not sell to homeowners. Is anybody aware that they will do so contrary to their website info?

I do not know like i said earlier i was told here that they did not sell to homeowners other than that i don't know

Interesting. The website let me progress through an order, though I didn't complete it. I think Hart's Hearth sells Ventis which is an Olympia product.

Bosch is like that for customer service. Call them from *your last name* masonry and tell them you want to purchase a liner to install in a client's chimney. Ask what info they need.

There are 2 reasons we don't use preinsulated one that no one makes it with heavy wall interior which is all we use for wood stoves. And for furnaces we don't use it because of cost it is quite a bit more than a comparable liner an insulation kit so for us it is not worth the extra. but it will pull in easier for sure so in the right situation i am sure we will use it eventually

DuraLiner has a .016" 304 stainless steel inner liner. That is pretty heavy duty. I have not heard of one failing.

Yes but it is not flexible i am sure it is a good product but rigid will not work in many of the chimneys we come across that and i hate installing rigid liners i just find them a real pain in the but. Some don't mind but almost all the pros i know wont use rigid anymore.

Sorry, to contradict again, but yes it has a heavy duty inner wall and yes it has flex options. DuraLiner comes in both rigid and flexible sections. It is a great system and also comes in oval sections if needed. DuraLiner maybe not perfect for every installation, no one system is, but they offer a very good solution for those looking for a quality pre-insulated liner. Lot's of pros use it, whether it is used or not locally, though Hogwildz installed it on his Summit not far from you. FWIW two of our local sweeps prefer to install rigid liners if possible. They are more pricey, but will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
yes but the flex from what i can tell from their site is not insulated am i wrong? I don't doubt it is a good system i just prefer to use flex. In the right situation i might consider using it but it hasn't come up yet. I would consider it for coal if it came in 316ti

Their flex is a different product line. DuraLiner is a unique animal I think. The flex is not a continuous liner. It is built and dropped down the chimney in sections that are locked together. When someone needs an insulated liner in an 7x7 (ID) chimney flue this is a nice solution. It's not the answer for all installations, it is a premium product that some folks won't pay for, and like other heavy-duty, double-wall liners, the flex sections are less flexible than a thin single wall flex liner. But for the right job and customer it a good solution. Installation is often quicker because there is no need to uncoil and straighten, no need to insulate, no need to worry about tearing the insulation and no heavy-duty liner weight.

I agree with you for the right situation it would be good if we need to line a 7 by 7 we usually just break out the liners so room for insulation is not an issue. I by no means am saying it is not a good product i just have not had the need to use it yet. The one problem i have with it is that they claim it is good for gas pellet oil wood and coal and it is 304. Everything i have been taught and every other manufacturer says 304 is only for wood and pellet you need 316 for gas oil or coal.

Yes, that is another plus, no need to break out the clay liner. I would suggest calling DuraTech customer service with questions. They are the ones providing the lifetime warranty. I don't see an exclusion for coal, oil, gas. This may be because of the thicker inner wall, but it's a good question to ask. We may see more of this product because coal installations are very rare in this area.

Last edited:
What is the out side diameter of it? I am just wondering because most of the chimneys we see with 7 by 7 liners are not all that straight and the liners are often poorly aligned which could cause problems with a rigid liner. And to me it doesnt matter what they say everyone else in the industry says use 316 for oil gas or coal even if they will honor the warranty it will not cover the installation cost which would either fall on my customer or i would have to eat it i will not gamble on it. But i think i will try it for a wood stove when the situation is right just out of curiosity.

Other questions regarding blanket wrapping a heavy flexible vs. pre-insulated flex, for wood,not coal:
Are there significant total installed cost differences, i.e. heavy+blanket+labor vs. preinsulated foreverflex/easy flex?
Durability against metal vs plastic brushes?

My impression is that the heavies last longer but because of their weight need special equipment to install and the others are better for DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.