any suggestions on how to replace bricks on an allnighter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the bricks an odd size? If they are a standard size just clean the stove out really well w/ a shop vac and take a pic of how they are arranged to help putting the new ones in.

If you can't get whatever size is in there, just have yourself a masonry blade on hand in a circ saw (I use an old one) and they cut pretty easily.

If you take your time w/ a stone chisel, they don't split too badly either.

pen

If using a saw to cut you can soak the bricks for 1/2 hr or so in water. When you cut there won't be any dust and the blade won't overheat.

rwhite said:
If using a saw to cut you can soak the bricks for 1/2 hr or so in water. When you cut there won't be any dust and the blade won't overheat.

Great idea. Never heard / thought of that one.

Thanks

pen

One or two you can hammer and chisel. More than that, I use an air chisel or hammer drill. The exhaust from the air chisel really stirs up the dust / ash packed between them. Next time I'll wet it down, and remove the mud. Anything beats the taste of brick mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.