Any thoughts on this splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newstove

Mar 25, 2009
Central MA
I've been looking for a splitter, and found this one:

http://www.homier.com/blue-max-27-ton-log-splitter.html

Turns out it will be ~$1150 with shipping to me (only about $150 in shipping.)

The splitter looks decent, has a full beam (all the way up to the top of the piston), 27 ton, big tires, horizontal/vertical.

Of course, no-name engine, but still, the engine is the least of my worries since that is probably the easiest part to deal with.

Any thoughts/commentary?

max flow 8 gpm? 30 second cycle time? If looking for a $1000 splitter, I think I would go smaller and faster.

Good points - I haven't done much research on splitters yet, and just stumbled across this one, and couldn't find many reviews on it. It looked fairly decent, but nothing exceptional...

Thanks.

A 30 second cycle time will drive you absolutely crazy. See if you can find a dealer around that sells Speeco or Huskee 22T splitters. These have 12 second cycle times, which is very good for a $1000 splitter.

The engine , pump, and valve appear to all be clones of unproven quality. Could not tell if the cylinder is also an import. For the price you should be able to find a local splitter seller with a more proven product and local service if needed.

For that $$$, or cheaper, you could get a proven winner, the 22ton Huskee at Tractor Supply.....I have the 28ton, but I've heard nothing stops the 22ton either..........

If you're gonna burn wood for the foreseeable future...don't go cheap on a splitter. If you're on a budget follow CL for an 15 year or older splitter when they made them to last.

Yeah, I'm not looking for cheap necessarily, I just stumbled across it and was curious (since I will be the first to admit I'm not well versed in splitters.) Thanks for all the replies.

I was actually looking at the Huskee, but my nearest Tractor Supply is about 1.5-2 hours away... Not all that far, but far enough. ;-) ;-)

Gotcha. Have fun shopping and choose wisely. The same thing happens to the value of a shiny new splitter as a shiny new car when it rolls off the lot.

SolarAndWood said:
Gotcha. Have fun shopping and choose wisely. The same thing happens to the value of a shiny new splitter as a shiny new car when it rolls off the lot.

Hahaha... That is exactly what drove me to look at new splitters instead of used ones.

Around here, people are selling beat up old crappy splitters for only about $200 less than a brand new one. So, I figure if that trend holds, I can buy a brand new one, beat the snot out of it for 10 years, and sell it for almost all my money back (and probably more if I figure in inflationary pressures. ;-) )

Splitter arbitrage...I like it. Between my two 30-40 year old splitters, I should be able to retire. I think you will find that there is a large gap between what people are asking for used things and what they actually sell for if you have the patience or inclination to deal with it.

As long as you buy the right one for your needs/desires as it sounds like sa7 did, having a piece of new equipment that you can keep in new condition certainly has its advantages.

Specs on that unit were definitely underwhelming... 27 tons is a high claim for a 4.5" cylinder, and the other numbers were much on the low side as far as the parts combination is concerned. Most splitters have at least somewhat street towable designs, not "off-road only" (Though most advise very low top speeds) I would say that this unit was either designed by someone that didn't quite know what they were up to, or has some significant typos in their specs.... I certainly would say it is not a good purchase.

For that sort of money you should be able to get something on the order of a 20-22 ton unit, w/ a 4" cylinder, 5.5hp or better engine, and 11gpm pump, which will give about a 15 second cycle time. This is a good combination that will make 99% of users very happy. You can get larger cylinder units, but then you should have correspondingly larger engines and pumps...

If you use the search, you will find lots of threads on splitter selection, that will give you a good idea on what to look for... This unit I would say is more an example of what NOT to look for...

Gooserider

TSC currently has $4.99 ground shipping for online orders of $75 and above.
I'm more than content with my 22 ton huskee (speeco the maker) has great warranty service so I've read since mine has had no issues in this the fourth season of use.
Do some more searching, online and in person.
huskee, speeco, MTD, yardman, and harbor freight are considered lower end splitters. Iron & oak, timberwolf, and American are considered top of the line,mostly for firewood producers running 8 to 10 hours a day 300 days a year.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Home_10551_10001

Well I lied to you, you can only buy huskee splitters in store at TSC, no $4.99 shipping on splitters. Sorry for the misinformation.

Unless you need it right away, keep an eye on Craigs List. I just bought a 22 ton Huskee, used one season, for $700. He was asking 800 but took 700 because he was moving and had to get rid of it. It works great. Keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.