Any way to hide controls on 4100i, (pics added)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zuegnu

Oct 20, 2009
central CA
So I am having a quad 4100i installed and I am being told there is no option for the blower control other than the rheostat box on the cord. I find that almost impossible to believe considering the price of the stove. I was down to this and the hampton 3100i. I discussed these things at length with the dealers and went with the quad dealer as I liked them much more and everything I read was "go with who you trust/ has a reputation". I ran power into the firebox and now its useless. I might have gone with the hampton for this reason alone or saved a bunch of $$$ and gone with something cheaper that had controls mounted on the flashing or something?

So, am I being told correct? No other option?

Edit:
I think we came up with a solution as I posted in response below, I'll add those pics later if I get to done properly. The thing on the floor is a piece of sheet metal I was going to use as a shim but was not needed just folded over laying there. That is the control box for now just above it.

And...I have had a couple nice little fires already to test it out though it is barely cold enough to justify outside at night!

Attachments

• DSC00413.jpg
    DSC00413.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 157
zuegnu,

I own the same stove and I am not aware of any retrofit to change out the control. The only option for the control is to which side of the stove you want it to come out of left or right of the insert. Mine was set up to come out of the right, I wanted it to come out on the left as the outlet to the left was open. When I tried to change it myself I discovered that the insert would need to be moved out a bit to do this, I decided against this as it would be too much work. So the control box is on the right and I have it plugged in behind my corner entertainment center which is right next to the insert (within the correct clearance range from the stove) and the control box is sitting on the floor behind my fireplace tool set. So you don't see it and I leave it set for automatic, so basicly it is out of sight out of mind.

I've been on this forum for a few years and I thought I've read where someone hard wired the blower section in with a reostat located in a switch box near the stove. Maybe try doing a search for reostat and see what comes up.

Like I said, I own the stove and love it and I'm sure you will too. One thing I've been mentioning to people who own the stove is that sometimes the door latch gets stiff and you need to hit it with some lubricant once or twice a season. I use ZEP 45 with teflon.

Good luck

Brian

Thanks for the response.

I have had a talk with my dealer and they have been awesome. I think we have come up with a plan to integrate the controls. I'll PM you some photos after we get it done. Should be by Friday.

I noticed a lot of the stoves I looked at had a maximum amount the door could open, not the 4100 huh? Thing swings wide open.

Thanks for the tip on the handle!

Status
Not open for further replies.