anybody happy with hitch mounted winch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I'm looking at cheap options and wondered if anybody has been-there-done-that. I'm not looking to spend a lot on it, and it wouldn't see a LOT of use. Just have a few logs in the timber that it might be handy for. I can get the truck backed up in line with the logs, but they aren't really in a good spot to drive forward and pull them out without trashing my straps, rope, etc.

Just wondering. I might end up bucking and wheelbarrowing, but the undergrowth needs to lay down a little first.

Block and tackle - a make shift yarder. Keeps the gear out of the dirt/rocks and lightens or lifts the nose of the log for easy(er) pulling.

Any winch worth its salt to do the job you are talking about is gonna be hundreds of dollars.

Jags said:
Block and tackle - a make shift yarder. Keeps the gear out of the dirt/rocks and lightens or lifts the nose of the log for easy(er) pulling.

Any winch worth its salt to do the job you are talking about is gonna be hundreds of dollars.
seems like a lot of work to get set up to pull out a couple of logs here and a couple of logs there. Would like to throw a chain on a log and go... you are probably right about cost of good winch. Should I even bother checking HF?

Danno77 said:
Jags said:

seems like a lot of work to get set up to pull out a couple of logs here and a couple of logs there. Would like to throw a chain on a log and go... you are probably right about cost of good winch. Should I even bother checking HF?

Actually, tying a pulley to the side of a tree is a pretty quick operation. Run rope through pulley - tie to choker on tree and go.

But for a winch - you would probably need a 6+ ton winch to do what you are looking at, plus hitch plate for winch...your still in it for hundreds of bucks.

Use a champion 8,000 pounder, on a hitch plate. Free spool line out, run line to choker around tree. use a snatch block to re-direct if needed. then instead of winching, just pull truck forward. NOT the way a winch was intended to be used!!!! if you have to rely on the winch to pull the logs up, you will burn up lots of time, a few batterys, an alternator or two, and probably a winch or two. regular winches just are not made for repeated heavy use without lots of cool down time. You would be better off with a spool of cable, a coulple snatch blocks, and some tree savers.

I would try a length of 1/2" or so wire rope hooked to the truck and get a good snatch block to redirect the pull if needed before investing in a winch. An affordable alternative to a winch would be this.
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/images/4.jpg
Take a look here.
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp
I have the two ton one. I have used it to move cars, trucks, logs, machines, etc. It is a little clunky to work with, but very powerful and built to out last all of us.

Flatbed I have a cheapie HF one of those I've used to winch cars and tractors as well. Works in a pinch, but problem is there so sloooooow. However last time I hooked a tow strap to my F150 back in the woods I ended up breaking out a tailight. A winch would have been nice. HF has many of them, been debating myself.

Winches are nice to have. I also have the more power puller shown in an above post, but a winch can do more.

I'm actually designing a winch mount for my wood truck right now, and because I want to keep my existing bumper and brush guard, I'm going with a receiver mount - even though it will probably not be removed very frequently, and will probably use bolts instead of hitch pins.

However, since I'm building it all myself, I'm going with double 2" receivers - because it seems like with a single receiver, if you are going to pull something at any kind of angle, the strength of the receiver just wouldn't be there - and may not hold up. also, a single receiver is usually only rated at something like 6k lbs. so double receivers welded through a 4" piece of sq. tube which is bolted to each frame rail, would be a lot stronger in general and especially for any side pulls.

check out smittybilt. they are cheap, but have excellent reviews - and amazon has some prices and free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.