Anybody know what bear scat looks like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Ok, before I post pics, thought I'd get a concensus and or an ok from a mod. Any problem posting a pic of what I think is bear poop?
I've checked online, and seen plenty of pics, but would like some verification, if possible.
Found a pile in the middle of the path going to the field, and it's closer to the house than the pile I found in the woods last year. I'm not freaking out, just curious. We have some friends a few miles north who have had bear visits in the front yard. Mind you, they're more in the woods than we are.

Very slow around here, shoot away. I have dealt with a bear or 2 in the past.

Dave, Would appreciate some pics as I have been out snowshoeing during the winter and have run into something similar but didn't take pics. Post away please.

Post the pics. If we think they're disgusting, I'll delete 'em. If we see images of religious figures in 'em, I'll put 'em on eBay. Rick

Ratman, funny, but old.
No grizzlies in Mi. that I know about.
For everyone's viewing pleasure, I give you ......poop.

Attachments

• 8-31-2010 005 resize.jpg
    8-31-2010 005 resize.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 776
Here's a couple more, with the tale of the tape.
Looks like berry pits and some other kind of berry, and a small amount of hair in the middle of all this crap.

Attachments

• 8-31-2010 009 resize.jpg
    8-31-2010 009 resize.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 749
  • 8-31-2010 010 resize.jpg
    8-31-2010 010 resize.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 749
It may be, but those are some small piles compared to what I've seen around here. Bear scat I've seen typically has berries/seeds like that...can't say that I see anything that will fetch $$ on Ebay though.

Definitely bear. Round like that and full of berries during berry season.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Definitely bear. Round like that and full of berries during berry season.

Well, holy crap. :lol:
The one I found in the woods last year was smaller than this one.
Maybe I should stay out of the woods.
I've been using that path to put up the 2012-13 wood in the field. One day it was clear, the next day, BAM! Poop. Lots 'o bunny poop, and deer too. Maybe the dogs are attracting him/her. Nah.
Thanks, Kathleen.

PapaDave said:
Well, holy crap. :lol:
not holy enough for ebay :lol:

In my former life I worked as a wildlife biologist and saw lots and lots of bear scat. It is pretty small. Maybe a yearling. It's possible your bear is accessing a berry patch nearby and is not planning to stay around once that resource is gone. Hopefully!!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
...not holy enough for ebay :lol:

Not so fast...I'm still staring at the pics and waiting for my meds to kick in. :wow:

friend of mine sent me this pic from his place.
he is hunting Black Bear this week and watched the smaller bear drop it when he was in the treestand ;-P

hunting09.jpg

PapaDave said:
Ratman, funny, but old.
No grizzlies in Mi. that I know about.
For everyone's viewing pleasure, I give you ......poop.

This guy comes around in the spring if we have feed in the bird feeders, use to see his bear scat.

zap

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 677
Yep, you are in bear territory. He won't touch your wood, just don't leave any garabage around and he will move on. Take some bear/dog spray or a rifle of some sort with you if he makes you uneasy.

Even before seeing the other threads I thought it looked like bear poop -- at least poop from the black bears we have here in Maine.

I don't know if the black bears are any different than the ones here in Maine . . . but here the black bears are rather skittish unless they're foraging for food at bird feeders after a long winter's hibernation or if they have a young cub(s) with them. Most of the ones I've seen don't stick around long and try to avoid contact with people . . . I wouldn't be too nervous.

Ours looks more like a pile of blackberries run through a food processor this time of year.

loon said:
friend of mine sent me this pic from his place.
he is hunting Black Bear this week and watched the smaller bear drop it when he was in the treestand ;-P

hunting09.jpg

That looks almost exactly like what I found, before I started messing with it. Nothing worth ebay in that one either.
Rick, ......meds kick in yet?

SKIN052 said:
Yep, you are in bear territory. He won't touch your wood, just don't leave any garabage around and he will move on. Take some bear/dog spray or a rifle of some sort with you if he makes you uneasy.

As long as he leaves the firewood alone, he's free to wander through. :coolsmile:

had this happen to me a couple years ago across the road..

was out cutting and when i turned the saw off i heard this stomping/huffing??? come to find out Black Bears do this when agitated, which i didnt know at the time and stupid me went and had a look to see what the noise was :cheese:

I WONT DO THAT AGAIN!!!!!! :)

put the game cam out later that day and have a pic of it at home which i will put up later...

Terry

PapaDave said:
...Rick, ......meds kick in yet?

Oh yeah...I'm seeing all sorts of things in these pics. %-P

firefighterjake said:
Even before seeing the other threads I thought it looked like bear poop -- at least poop from the black bears we have here in Maine.

I don't know if the black bears are any different than the ones here in Maine . . . but here the black bears are rather skittish unless they're foraging for food at bird feeders after a long winter's hibernation or if they have a young cub(s) with them. Most of the ones I've seen don't stick around long and try to avoid contact with people . . . I wouldn't be too nervous.

Gosh, I can't even recall the last time I even heard of anyone being "attacked" by a black bear in New England. From what I hear though, the Asian Black Bear is extremely aggressive and will chase you for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.