Anybody make wood books while splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
splitting wood books.jpg

Reactions: Nixon
I make kindling that way for my daughters to use.

i also have been known to make 'Shingle' targets for shooting old school flintlock rifles.

Gzecc, I do that a lot. And when making kindling, I do it like this only make the splits about an inch apart. Then grasp a handful and turn them and it is chop, chop, chop. Quick and easy. I love making kindling this way and use soft maple because it splits so easy. Just a light touch with the wedge and it splits.

And yes, for making those splits you want to use for cribbing the ends, this is the way to do it.

I'll make the books when I have a straight grained piece that splits well, and to agree with GZ, perfect for end row stacking.

I make those when hand splitting the big rounds. The more uniform shape makes stacking much easier.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I make squares, rectangles and slabs . . . or when I start to get hungry I switch over to making pie-shapes.

Reactions: zap
Status
Not open for further replies.