Anybody Pot Roast Recipes? now with vote poll !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which pot roast to make HELP!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I am craving a pot roast and want to know if you have some good recipes to try! Please!!! I LOVE FOOD :)

Thanks Guys
Pete

Can't beat a good pot roast. I make mine differently every time, but the one constant that I always add that may be new to some folks is horseradish. It may seem strange, but by the time the low slow cooking is finished you can't taste the familiar taste of it, but man does it add depth of flavor to the gravy. Sometimes I'll leave the gravy as it is when it finishes, sometimes I'll thicken. If it's a week day, I'll actually add a frozen roast to the crock pot and add the veggies at the same time, and it's perfect when we get home (start at 6:30am and eat at 5- 6pm roughly) If you didn't add the other stuff that this recipe calls for, then you'd definitely want to have a thawed roast and brown it well in the pot it is going to cook in for flavor for the gravy.

I wrote this down as a rough guide a few years back for the Mrs. If interested, adapt as you see fit obviously. Lots of other things you could add (or take away), but this has been a solid starter recipe. Sometimes I'll use fresh mushrooms instead of the soup, other times none. Lots of room for alteration to your own taste. This recipe also works on the wood stove top, but if it's crankin', just be sure you have a metal trivet to elevate things to let it go low and slow. Also, the times stated are minimums I've found.

BTW, when you look at the pics, you'll understand why my mother told me in 8th grade that she didn't give a flying poo what courses I chose in high school, or what career path I would want to take as she knew I'd do well regardless. However, I HAD to learn to type before she'd acknowledge I graduated from high school. Thank god I heeded her threat and can now touch type at over 80 words per minute. One wise woman. My handwriting certainly wasn't going to get me anywhere.

At the end of the day, a salt and peppered chuck roast in the crock pot w/ some veggies and a touch of water is going to be a good meal. It's hard to mess up a pot roast. Just depends on what you want.

One of my favorite meals.

pen

Attachments

• pot roast 1.jpg
    pot roast 1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 413
  • pot roast 2.jpg
    pot roast 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 399
1 boneless chuck-eye roast 3-4 lbs I like chuck since it won't come out as dry..with chuck you can split the roast into 2 pcs and trim fat if you want to....secure w/twine if you do
2 tbls unsalted butter
2 medium onions sliced thin
1 large carrot med chopped
1 celery rib med chopped
2 cloves garlic pressed or minced
1 cup beef broth plus 1-2 cups for sauce
1/2 cup dry red wine, plus 1/4 cup for sauce
1tbls tomato paste
1 bay leaf / sprig fresh thyme chopped ground black pepper
1 tbls balsamic vinegar

let roast come to room temperature sprinkle w/kosher salt..preheat oven to 300..heat butter in dutch oven after foam stops add onions and cook until soft and starting to brown about 10min. add carrot & celery continue to cook 5min. add garlic and cook until fragrant do not overcook the garlic(35 secs) Stir in 1 cup broth, 1/2 c wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and thyme bring to simmer...Pat beef dry with paper towel..season with pepper..Place roast on top of veggies. cover pot with foil and place lid on top. cook beef until tender approx 3-4 hrs..transfer roast to platter..strain liquid. discard bay leaf...transfer veggies to blender allow to cool slightly. skim fat. add remaining broth to = 3cups..place liquid in blender w/veggies blend until smooth..transfer to saucepan and simmer on medium..stir remaining 1/4c wine and vinegar into sauce and season w/salt & pepper...slice roast and spoon about half of gravy over meat- enjoy...

I know this sounds complicated but just take you time...I've made this for company and get compliments..think I got this from Cook's Illustrated if memory serves me correctly. It's basically a beef gravy but the tomato paste give the sauce a meaty flavor..My mother used to brown her meat first but I've found the texture better in this recipe..its softer this way..but each to his own...

Can't believe you posted this..I just made this recently and used the leftover meat for empanadas(added adobe/jalapeno's for those lil suckers)....

I happen to be a foodie myself...was going to ask the community for favorite filling recipes...Happy Cooking.....

Pen what a nice idea with the horseradish..hmm..one day i fooled around & crushed up gingersnaps to thicken my sauce-not bad..my DH used to say.."can't you make a meal the same way twice?" I love to experiment!

piejam said:
I know this sounds complicated but just take you time...I've made this for company and get compliments..think I got this from Cook's Illustrated if memory serves me correctly. It's basically a beef gravy but the tomato paste give the sauce a meaty flavor..My mother used to brown her meat first but I've found the texture better in this recipe..its softer this way..but each to his own...

Can't believe you posted this..I just made this recently and used the leftover meat for empanadas(added adobe/jalapeno's for those lil suckers)....

I happen to be a foodie myself...was going to ask the community for favorite filling recipes...Happy Cooking.....

I think you forgot the recipe! :lol: If you didn't, then I'm the one who's been drinking too much. Either scenario is just fine by me.

Regardless, this reminds me of a quote: WC Fields "I like to cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food!"

pen

piejam said:
see post #2..I tried not to make it too confusing..guess I didn't succeed!...lol

Lol, yep, time for bed for me!

Someday I'll learn to pay more attention to who's posting what. That'll probably be the same day I put on reading glasses and turn the zoom down so that I can see that side of the screen.

Didn't notice that both posts were yours.

pen

Look at the bright side Pen, you have a frig full of beer a pack of cigarettes and sunglasses- I adored John Belushi...

piejam said:
Look at the bright side Pen, you have a frig full of beer a pack of cigarettes and sunglasses- I adored John Belushi...

Maybe the sunglasses are the problem, or it could be that the fridge is only 1/2 full of beer now.

Yep, miss that man and that style of humor.

ETA: Pete, I generally don't jack threads, but it's the nook and I hope you understand! Regardless, let us know what you chose to do with the pot roast and how it came out. I always like trying something different and look forward to what you come up with.

pen

Sauerbraten. It'll take a couple of days :)

Ingredients

3 to 5 pound top round
10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
Essence, recipe follows
Salt and pepper to taste
1 quart red wine
2 cups julienned onions
1 small bundle of fresh thyme
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/4 cup sugar
2 to 4 cups veal stock
1 cup crushed gingesnap cookies
4 potato pancakes
2 cups braised cabbage
Garnish: Snipped chives and brunoise peppers

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Stud the roast with the whole garlic cloves. Season the entire roast with Essence, salt and pepper. Place the roast in a deep glass bowl. In a mixing bowl, whisk the red wine, onions, herbs, and sugar together. Whisk the liquid until the sugar dissolves. Pour the marinade over the roast and cover with plastic wrap. Place the roast in the refrigerator and marinate for 72 hours. Remove the roast from the marinade. Strain the marinade. Place the roast in a braising pan. Add the veal stock to the strained liquid. Pour the liquid over the roast and place in the oven. The liquid should cover 1/2 of the roast. Braise the roast covered for 2 to 3 hours. Turn the meat several times and add additional stock if needed. Place the pan with the braising liquid over a burner. Bring the liquid up to a simmer. Whisk the crushed gingersnaps into the liquid. Simmer the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the Sauerbraten with the potato pancakes and braised cabbage. Spoon the ginger snap sauce over the meat. Garnish with chives and brunoise peppers.

Hey pen do you have a translator available to put the scribbles into english? :lol:

Youall are making me hungry for some decent food. My supper was a cup o noodle.

NATE379 said:
Hey pen do you have a translator available to put the scribbles into english? :lol:

Youall are making me hungry for some decent food. My supper was a cup o noodle.

If you are hungry enough, you can figure them out :lol:

How the hell can you survive in Alaska on a cup-o-noodle!

pen

Pete,

I use low sodium beef broth..the logic here is that you can always add it in the end if you wish..when a sauce is slow cooking , and if the broth is salty to begin with..the reduction result will be more intense...

BTW did you want a beef gravy or a more tomato based one?....there are so many different ways to make pot roast..

O man Pen once again to the food rescue !! I have not tried Horseradish in my pot roast before but the german in me says it would compliment the sauerkraut well mmmmmmmmm. :) My wife says she can read your handwriting well so I am gonna try that recipe tonight :lol: .

Piejam I am gonna make that one next weekend it looks amazing as well O heck maybe I will make them both tonight !!!!! UGHGHGHGH They make me so hungry :lol:

Eileen O crap I just read yours and I can't decide now aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ok Time for a vote.

Pete

This usually what I make.

3 1/2 lb of beef shoulder or boneless chuck roast
2 Tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
Salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste
2 large yellow onions, thickly sliced, lengthwise about 4 cups sliced onion
2 cups sauerkraut
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/2 cup of red wine
1 bay leaf

Pete

When it comes to pot roasts, for me 25% of a good recipe is its ease to prepare it. I follow pretty closely the recipe on a lipton onion soup box, but add little things here and there like some red wine or some barley. Its nice to have a basic base, then change up as needed. I always make sure i sear the heck out of the outside in my cast iron skillet. A good crust is important for tastes and color. Another thing, i almost always bake some fresh bread in my bread maker to accompany the roast

My standard is to trim off the major hunks of fat, and put the roast in a slow cooker. Put the hunks of fat on top, along with a large onion cut in half and a few cloves of garlic. Season with a little salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper, and cook it on low for 8-10 hours, until it falls apart. Discard the onion and garlic and what's left of the fat. Add low sodium beef broth and thicken with corn starch or arrowroot. By the time you stir it all up, the meat is pretty much shredded. Serve the whole mess on top of mashed taters.

That's for a weekday meal. For a Sunday dinner with company, it is a more traditional preparation. I much prefer the weekday meal. Comfort food.

Pete,

Wie gehts es ihnen? Sprechen sie deutsche.?.Miener grossmutter kompt Austerich aus.. Ich lernte deutsch in das gymnasium..ok ok...Did ya ever try your recipe with caraway seeds? just curious...

christ thought I've forgotten my german since my grandmother passed away in the sixties...can't remember too much anymore...lol...brain dead...

PS saw your suggestion about cooking with your stove..love it!! wish I didn't have the insert!

Meine Großmutter lehrte mich, wenn ich sie etwa 10 volle Deutsch und stolz darauf war. Mein Großvater war irischer und er kämpfte gegen Deutschland während des 2. Weltkrieges floh meine Großmutter Deutschland kurz vor dem Krieg und zog nach Irland mit meinem Großvater. Ich verstehe nicht, um in Deutsch zu oft diesem coolen Mann geben!

While that was a brain exercise I event spoken Deutsch since my grandmother passed away 10 years ago. I am having a good time playing with stove cooking and it would be fun to have a forum for that. :)

Thanks for the brain drain
Pete :lol:

Talk about a brain freeze...lets see- your grandmother taught you german(got she passed on-sorry) and your grandfather was irish and fought against germany... Was ist Los" I don't understand etc..still translating the rest...this ought to keep me busy..its been a long, long time since I heard Uber Alles Deutschland..Das ist gut mein freund- Ich bin Danuta....

grandmother left germany during the worldwar??? and moved to ireland with your grandfather...I'm getten there...lol

piejam said:
Talk about a brain freeze...lets see- your grandmother taught you german(got she passed on-sorry) and your grandfather was irish and fought against germany... Was ist Los" I don't understand etc..still translating the rest...this ought to keep me busy..its been a long, long time since I heard Uber Alles Deutschland..Das ist gut mein freund- Ich bin Danuta....== This one lost me for a bit Everything about Germany .. This is my good friend, I-leg Danuta ....
grandmother left germany during the worldwar???

I'm lucky I can spell in english..german grammar I think is really tough..seems backwards to me!! always did..congregation of verbs is hard..My grandmother was Polish but born in Austria....love the darn pastries...still do...

Amen to that I love my mothers cooking !! It is amazing and actually taste like real food not Mc Ick food lol

Pete

Pen is kickin our butts...its a nice easy recipe...I just have to figure to cut the salt since I am sodium sensitive...I told Dixie Cup sometimes I use the top chuck filets if I want to make a me only meal....or cook a pot roast type meal in a hurry...I'm sure whatever recipe you chose will be great...be careful when loading hot liquids into blender..make sure you have plenty of room and don't overfill..otherwise it will be Yucca Flats after the blast! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.