Anybody Rooted the Nook Simple Touch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I've been reading about this.
I got one for Christmas and now I naturally want to root it so that I can fool around with some Android apps.
The eInk screen has problems, I'm sure, for some apps, but the battery life is phenomenal.
I don't have any other Android equipment.
Ability to maybe do email or web browsing on it in a pinch might be worthwhile.

We may root our Nook 1st Edition at some point. I've read that you can then run Pandora on it while you read or browse the net.

Well. I did successfully root the nook simple touch. It's serviceable, but I don't have a smart phone to compare it against. I'm using the Opera mobile app to write this post. The Yahoo mail app also works nice. It gives alerts for both my yahoo mail accounts whici is something the pc version doesn't seem to. The e-ink display has limitations, but the baattery life is great. So is the touch screen.

I was able to install the Kindle android app. I downloaded a free kindle book and read it, so I know it works. Cool. Well, to me anyway.

Most of that website is WAY over m head. But I was successful at rooting my droid x2 but have yet figure out what to do with it now

Over my head too. If I screw up, I'd have no idea how to get back. If nothing else, if that's all you had on a trip, you could communicate, do a little web browsing, as well as read books. It's small enough to put in a Dockers pocket.

Velvetfoot,
I'd like to know if you install the Pandora app and how it works.
Thanks.

velvetfoot said:
No sound on the Nook Simple Touch.

We have the Nook 1st Edition which has sound. I (wrongly) assumed the Simple Touch has sound also. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.