Anybody using a Stihl 260 pro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I've been running an 036 for the last 12 years. It still runs well but I'm looking to go for a lighter weigtht model that still packs some zip. I think the 260 with a full tank is about 3 lbs lighter than the 036. I'd go with a 16" bar as well.

Looked at the 250 as well but I don't know if it's enough saw even though it's similar and $200 less. Plus it's labeled "occaisonal use" which bothers me. I cut 4-5 cords/year, sell a bit and maintain 50 acres of woods.

Am getting a nice tax refund so cost is no big deal. Thought about getting a splitter but I still enjoy splitting by hand. Tractor Supply has a 22 ton Husky marked at $999...hmmmmm.

The 260 not a strong saw by no means imo. (500.00 bucks worth anyway) with a 036 I would look at the 192t (6.6 lb) or 250 or 211.

If your set on a Stihl, it sounds like the 260 would be a good fit based on wanting less weight. I own a 260 and like it as it does pretty good with a 16" bar and .325 chain. Mine is muffler modded and running a little over the factory RPM limit. If I had to do it over again I would buy the non cat Husky 346XP new edition though.

HittinSteel said:
If your set on a Stihl, it sounds like the 260 would be a good fit based on wanting less weight. I own a 260 and like it as it does pretty good with a 16" bar and .325 chain. Mine is muffler modded and running a little over the factory RPM limit. If I had to do it over again I would buy the non cat Husky 346XP new edition though.

yep If your stuck on a 500.00 50cc saw thats the one. I just didnt care for the 260 but I was also running 3/8 I know it makes a differnce but for the price I thought it should at least run what I wanted on it...lol doesnt always work that way.

I was shopping the 346XP and ended up with the Dolmar 5100. It's the 'Lite Sabre'.

zzr7ky said:
I was shopping the 346XP and ended up with the Dolmar 5100. It's the 'Lite Sabre'.

but its not much lighter than hes 036

What would you like to know ???
Give up on the pro model . Its way to expensive for what you get . 250 or 260 I am not sure I have had a 026 ( 260) for probably better than 20 years , my brother has a 250 we both swear by them . I also have a Ms260 pro ( girlfriends saw )
The nice thing about a 026 or 260 or 260 pro the bar and chain fit to your 036 . .
If I was you looking for a saw . I would try and get me an 026 or a 260 standard . pro gets you an adjustable oiler and a decompression ( NO big deal ) . Trust me it oils fine and starts easy enough.

webie said:
Give up on the pro model . Its way to expensive for what you get . 250 or 260 I am not sure I have had a 026 ( 260) for probably better than 20 years , my brother has a 250 we both swear by them . I also have a Ms260 pro ( girlfriends saw )
The nice thing about a 026 or 260 or 260 pro the bar and chain fit to your 036 . .
If I was you looking for a saw . I would try and get me an 026 or a 260 standard . pro gets you an adjustable oiler and a decompression ( NO big deal ) . Trust me it oils fine and starts easy enough.

Wait a minute, thats not the only difference between the Pro and standard model....

You also get a cool looking "PRO" nameplate! :)

I have a 260 pro and love it!!!!!! I also have a few other saws but find myself picking up the 260 for most of my cutting. I can use it all day with out killing my back.

Rob

I've only put about five tanks of fuel thru mine since I got it, but I'm extremely pleased with how well it does. I'm running a 16" bar w/ 3/8" full chisel chain. I find myself limbing and bucking up to the full length of the bar before switching to my MS361. So far I haven't needed to use the decomp for starts. Since purchasing it, I've read of $100 savings by folks on new non pro 260's! Since I have the 361 there is no need for a longer bar on the 260.

peterc38 said:
webie said:

Wait a minute, thats not the only difference between the Pro and standard model....

You also get a cool looking "PRO" nameplate! :)
Crap thats got to be worth an extra what 50 cents .
I have never adjusted my oiler onj the pro and I for get it actually has adecompression button . I bought it used for the girl freind cause she couldnt get my 026 started It was a year old and barely used with an extra chain 350.00 saw didnt have a scratch on it . 16 inch bars and .325 chains run real nice on these saws .

Hey we can print you up some of those 150.00 PRO sticker labels. I like the 250 but for just a few bucks more the 290 or 310 ? ()don't remember) could be a reasonable model for your needs.

Tony H said:
Hey we can print you up some of those 150.00 PRO sticker labels. I like the 250 but for just a few bucks more the 290 or 310 ? ()don't remember) could be a reasonable model for your needs.
Why would the OP want a heavier second saw with less ponies then his 036

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

yep If your stuck on a 500.00 50cc saw thats the one. I just didnt care for the 260 but I was also running 3/8 I know it makes a differnce but for the price I thought it should at least run what I wanted on it...lol doesnt always work that way.

Mine makes a nice little zippy limber with the muffler mod and is super light...... anything over 10" and out comes the 372. You are right about it being expensive, but has a proven track record of being bulletproof. Like I said, I'm happy with it but if I had it to do over I would get the 346XP.

One thing to remember about the pro is that its oiler does not run while the saw is at idle. The non pro does. Sometimes this annoys me because it pukes bar oil all over itself when I set it down to move limbs.

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

Mine makes a nice little zippy limber with the muffler mod and is super light...... anything over 10" and out comes the 372. You are right about it being expensive, but has a proven track record of being bulletproof. Like I said, I'm happy with it but if I had it to do over I would get the 346XP.

One thing to remember about the pro is that its oiler does not run while the saw is at idle. The non pro does. Sometimes this annoys me because it pukes bar oil all over itself when I set it down to move limbs.

I was just dissapointed in the 260 it is a battle waggon...With the tree I get the 260 just wasnt enough to justify 500.00 but the 361 at 600.00 it just flat out works for what I do.

I don't think you need a Pro model. Just pull it hard and fast when it's hot and no problem. However - If I let my dad try and start the thing hot the saw usually comes up with the pull rope! You have to yank it!

The fixed oiler has never been an issue for me either. I always have to add oil after a tank of gas.

Make sure you get a full chisel chain for the saw. Big difference over the green "safety" chain.

The only complaint I have is the fuel tank size. If you're cutting decent size wood it goes through gas fast.

here is one other thing . The 250 , 260 are both old stihls . I would venture to guess here that they will soon be updated to meet emissions.

webie said:
here is one other thing . The 250 , 260 are both old stihls . I would venture to guess here that they will soon be updated to meet emissions.

Acoording to the buzz on AS, the MS261 comes out next month in germany. Not sure when it will be available in the US, but I would think it won't be too long.

Here is a picture :)

MS261.jpg

I have the 260 pro and love it. Have beat on it 8 yrs without issues.

However, the decomp valve is the only real diff, and I never use it. Starting is not an issue. A larger engine may benefit from it.

I would not give up my saw, but I don't need the bells/whistles it has.

I agree, I also have the 260 Pro and love it. I don't use the decomp either. Not much use for it in a 50cc saw IMO.

I also have a 346XP that really rips. I have 16" bars on both of them and use 'em both a lot.

peterc38 said:
webie said:

Acoording to the buzz on AS, the MS261 comes out next month in germany. Not sure when it will be available in the US, but I would think it won't be too long.

MS261.jpg

I was on the arborist sight and I was reading this is not going to be a little saw anymore . 3.8 hp and 11.5 lbs

webie said:
peterc38 said:
webie said:

MS261.jpg

I was on the arborist sight and I was reading this is not going to be a little saw anymore . 3.8 hp and 11.5 lbs

makes the 361 look sweet!

I just wonder if they dont come out with a smaller pro saw like a 241 . It does fill the gap but heck this thing will be the same ponies as a 290

smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:

5100s weighs 11.2 lbs

346xp 11.0lbs

gg

goosegunner said:
smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:

5100s weighs 11.2 lbs

346xp 11.0lbs

gg

the 036 60cc saw and 12.o lbs hes looking for something lighter

Status
Not open for further replies.