anyone build a pellet shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strangemainer

Sep 2, 2008
Waterboro, Maine
Hey everyone, Im thinking about building a shed this spring to store the pellets.
Its getting a little tight in the basement. Nothing to pretty, just a shed.

Anyone do this have any advise or pics? I think 10'by10' would be ideal as I could fit 4 pallets in there
with room to move.
thanks

I put up a 10'x10' steel shed for my parent's last year that they bought at Sears for $300. We used six 4'x4's to level the shed, a metal flooring kit that came free with the shed, and 3/4" plywood to go over the floor kit. We were able to put six tons of pellets into the shed and had room for another one to two tons. The sheds are not the best quality, but if you can keep your kids away from them they'll last many years.

Anyway, this is what we bought:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07168102000P?mv=rr

HI RAP metal sheds can get moisture on the insides when temps go from cold to milder.just something to keep an eye on. dont wont moisture dripping on bags of pellets. i built 12'x 12" holds 2 tons easy with room for still storing other stuff still

We have a tarp over the bags and a pallet under them. Not one bad bag yet and we're down to 1.5 tons.

Im leaning twords building on with pressure treated wood. A little pricey, but it will last.

FWIW... The manufacturers almost all store them outside with their as shipped packaging. I leave mine outside utilizing the factory packaging (I reuse the 'bag' over the top of the skids) and just throw an aditional tarp over the top for extra insurance. I've never had a single problem in my 9 years of pellet burning.

Wet1 said:
FWIW... The manufacturers almost all store them outside with their as shipped packaging. I leave mine outside utilizing the factory packaging (I reuse the 'bag' over the top of the skids) and just throw an aditional tarp over the top for extra insurance. I've never had a single problem in my 9 years of pellet burning.

I've done this as well, and never had a problem when I did it this way either.

I added on to my existing 10x12 shed with extra materials I had laying around from the addtion I had just put on my house. It is open essentially a single pitch lean-to that is closed in on 3 sides. It doesn't have a floor, so I stack them on pallets. But they are at least out of the rain and snow this way.

I gather my sons(their young and less elderly lol).....Usually burn maybe 2-3 tons in winter. I have a coat closet in my living that I took over for pellets...I pack it right full of pellets(usually about 25 bags or so. Then the rest I keep in basement and just keep refilling the closet as needed.....works out well. I dont like having to go out and get them like I use to fo rthe wood pile.....like the idea of getting them inside and its done for the winter. :)

I am using a one of the half-round (quonset) style tent garage. I can place 4 pallets with no problem. I think it is 10' by 20'. 3 years ago it cost $599.00. It took about 30 min. to read the instructions and 2 hours to put up.

I simply built a 10x12 leanto type addition on my 14x14 shed with a plywood floor works well. I had most of the framing lumber so it only cost me ~ 200 bucks to build. I used some nice amish dutchlap siding cost was under 100 bucks and a metal roof.

We kept ours in the garage on pallets and use a garden wagon to pull them to our sun porch. Kept a pile of 8 to 10. When the snow came, we used a plastic sled. Could pull that right up on the patio and to the sun porch door. We were only able to move 2 bags at a time, but if we picked a good day, it wasn't too bad. Wife and I have some limitations, but we found our effort to be worth it. Kept a stool near the stove. Very handy to use to brace a bag on, open it and then tip into the stove.
I think that storage and handling are very influential on the experience of burning pellets.
I've seen pellets kept outside at some of the box stores. Almost always, I have found bags with moisture in or on them. Can't help but feel that is, in some part, what contribute to so many negative comments about some brands. One very knowledgeable poster on this forum has consistently advised us not to purchase pellets that are stored outside some sort of shelta.

One very knowledgeable poster on this forum has consistently advised us not to purchase pellets that are stored outside some sort of shelta.

Ive bought pellets from 5-6 different places this year and they all stored them outside, not sure if anyone around here stores them inside. I only had a problem with one bag out of two tons total that I bought.

Deffy said:
..... but i gave up on that because the lawn tractor battery keeps losing its charge in the winter. i was also able to haul 10-15 bags at a time like that. maybe i'll try insulating its battery compartment for next winter.

Deffy, get one of these for your tractor battery if you want to keep it charged....they are the BEST! Will never overcharge the battery...they just go into float mode once the battery is charged up.

www.amazon.com/Deltran-Battery-Tend...2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1237344460&sr=1-12

CZARCAR said:
why wouldnt a pallet of pellets with a good tarp over it work?

theft would be the issue around here...

Nice to see like minds at work. I am going to add an addition on my shed to house four tons of pellets. Just built a garage but don't want them to take up precious space in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.