Anyone burn any cedar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

closedknuckle

May 14, 2009
midwest
Have the offer of some 12 inch dia cedar, not alot, was wondering if it might make good shoulder season wood?
thak you

Make some kindling out of it.

about the same as white pine , IMO.

I have a lot of eastern red cedar. Burns fast and hot. Lights like a match. I use it for kindling. Powder post beetles like it better than oak and hickory. I drop it, then wait six months or so to buck and split. Not so sticky by then. Cedar is useful for me.

Burns really hot. I take cedar and split it down to 12 inch pencil size sticks and use them like fatwood to start fires. During the holidays I can wrap a festive ribbon around a bundle of them and take them for a host/hostess gift for holiday parties.

I don't think I'd burn Cedar splits in my stove.

I have burnt a bunch of cedar (eastern red cedar, the same cedar tree that grows in the midwest). It makes nice kindling, splits burn about the same as pine. I'd definitely take more if it came my way. I scrounge all my firewood so I don't have the option of choosing red cedar over other wood, but I wouldn't turn it down.

Had a few cedar posts that I pulled out of the ground last year. Dry as a bone, so I bucked 'em up, split 'em up and burned 'em up.
They went faster than the white pine and spruce I also use.

Every couple yrs or so I manage to scrounge some Eastern Red Cedar in varying sizes.Great for kindling & when split in smaller chunks.Nice to have to mix with Silver Maple & others for Fall & Spring burning.Cut one of the knottiest 18" rounds found in March to a foot long for a new splitting block.Not even one crack in it yet.

Attachments

• easternredcedar31211.jpg
    easternredcedar31211.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 426
  • easternredcedar31211 (5).jpg
    easternredcedar31211 (5).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 386
  • easternredcedar31211 (6).jpg
    easternredcedar31211 (6).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 401
Yup. Burns pretty fast so be careful to not overheat.

Kindling. I read somewhere that it doesn't burn hot and can cause mass amounts of cresote.

CodyWayne718 said:
Kindling. I read somewhere that it doesn't burn hot and can cause mass amounts of cresote.

Not if burned correctly. This is an old wives tale.

Shawn

I have mass amounts of cedar on my property, but won't burn it in the house except for kindling. Burns too hot and hard to control. I do however burn cedar exclusively in my barn for heat. After a full season, using the barn stove everyday, I was surprised when I cleaned the chimney and only got a palmful of fine dry soot. Thought that the cedar would have made more of a mess of the chimney.

I've burned incense-cedar, I know, I know not a true cedar (Calocedrus decurrens). Smells good though (like pencils), splits super easy, dries relatively fast, but doug-fir burns better, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.