Anyone burn Ironwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCWoodMan

Oct 16, 2008
Northern, MI
My God this is awesome wood! Hard as nails, better bring your sharpening tools if your cutting it and have fun trying to split it by hand! The tree grows in a spiral and very tight grain but get it seasoned and it burns like coal!

yessir! I burn some of it, but honestly, I dont cut it unless I have to, (its in the way or gets hit by a falling tree) just becsuae of how hard it cuts/splits. Too much other good wood that doesnt kick your arse, for me to mess with it.

Huh? I wonder if that's the same ironwood we have around here.

It's more brushier that tree like, sometimes multiple stalks, doesn't get over 20-25 feet, hard to cut and weighs a ton when cut? Oh and sometimes it has white berries too. I've never burned it inside cause the largest trunk I ever had was maybe 5-6" or so. Does that sound like your ironwood...if it's as good as you say I'll give it a shot.

I've never seen it grow very big around here, but yes I've burned it before. We've always called it ironwood, but I'm curious, I believe it's also called blue hornbeam?

At any rated, I've never cut it big enough to split, but even the small pieces burn forever and man... hard as a rock.

USMCWoodMan said:
My God this is awesome wood! Hard as nails, better bring your sharpening tools if your cutting it and have fun trying to split it by hand! The tree grows in a spiral and very tight grain but get it seasoned and it burns like coal!
very hot burning, carbide chain the way to cut it!

Northern Wisconsin people burn ironwood. It is some dense stuff! Makes great firewood. Kind of like shagbark hickory by me. You would swear it was concrete!!!

I should say this too, throughout the world there are over 100 species claiming the name "Ironwood" gennerally because of the hardness, weight, and density. Once I identify the particular species I have here in Northwestern Lower Michigan I'll update. Another minor interesting bit of trivia: South Americans call these trees "Quebracho" or Axebreaker!

I've never cut an iornwood tree that was big enough to bother splitting most I've run into are in the <4in range.
It seems to burn decent. If in fact it burns like hickory than it would be great.

What I've managed to come up with is this: I have the Eastern Hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) not American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana)also called "Musclewood" around here; it's from the Birch family, very shredded bark, grows in a tight spiral or twist creating it's density and strength. Again, it burns phenominally if you care to take the time to cut and split (if required, rarely do I find one that big). Dad used to tell me the story of how when he was young and dumb he tried to cut one up with an axe for Grandma's fireplace not knowing what he was in for, the stubborn SOB actually finished the job though....perhaps that's where my bull-headedness comes from, he always said it came from Mom....

The ironwood(hornbeam) we have up here makes excellent stakes for sides of trailers, or any kind of poles to stack stuff against. I've used it as trail marker stakes on snowmobile trails. Used only a few in this application, just in the problem areas of sleds breaking off weaker stakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.