anyone burning sasafras?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
I thought I had White Ash in my yard but it turns out to be Sasafras. It smells like root beer when I run a chain saw thru it.

BucksCoBernie said:
I thought I had White Ash in my yard but it turns out to be Sasafras. It smells like root beer when I run a chain saw thru it.
I have burnt it before it glows when buring and will bust like glass when you poke it!

If you have any friends who have a smokehouse, that is the number #1 smoking wood, around here anyway. They'll probably trade you some meat for your wood.

The smokers only burn it green though. It has no smoking value dry.

BucksCoBernie said:

I just cut a few down on my property this past weekend. I noticed the scent right away and googled it to discover it is sasafras. It is really soft wood so I don't expect much burn time from these logs. It might have a plesent smell though!

Rash? eesh. not me. I have several cords of it. It smells like rootbeer when cut, whether green or standing dead. But when burnt, I don't know, to me it almost smells rubbery? Just kind of a strange chemical-ish smell.

Cracks and pops like crazy. Puts on a good show in the insert.

Got some sassafras the first time last spring. Though the rings are close together,
it was light as balsa-wood after drying. Didn't burn very long in the stove like more
dense oak would have. Strange medicine smell to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.