anyone buy and used poly carbonate panels for a carport or large awning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
unfortunately it has to be special ordered except for the cheap stuff. so I can't find or feel the difference in mil thickness,
this is going on back of house walkout basement. where there is intense heat no trees nearby, and M. Stewart Im not
lol

I used a 4 x 12 feet to cover one of my wood rack. Sun and heat doesn’t affect it at all. It is supprisingly stiff and it isn’t affected by wind. I don’t know yet about the effect of the snow on it. I paid 100 Canadian $ for it but it looks good and gets the job done.

I used a 4 x 12 feet to cover one of my wood rack. Sun and heat doesn’t affect it at all. It is supprisingly stiff and it isn’t affected by wind. I don’t know yet about the effect of the snow on it. I paid 100 Canadian $ for it but it looks good and gets the job done.
well we bought several sheets(multi wall) in clear and diffused with the H and U channels accessories and special "tape" for the ends of each panel. Now to get Hubby to install them> I just hate the thought of drilling screws into the galv steel.
cause it ,the steel awning ,will rust even sooner. Thought ( my brainstorming as usual)about using Magnets siliconed to the polycarbonate flat backs and one or two screw at the top of each 4 ft panel.. Cause part.. top part under the soffit overhang. The awning has a metal skeletal "valance" too. But Hubby said what about the bottom? to keep the wind from lifting the panels off? If I had rolls of heavy vinyl ( say4 to 6 inches wide. Id be tempted to weave it in and out;;; Like a lawnchair has. but the supports are 42inches in centers Its a big heavy awning
the panels and acc cost more than we paid for the awning. and the needed welding and boom truck to get it up into the air and into the steel custom welded brackets on the house outside wall
Each polycarbonate sheet has to be trimmed about a foot too/ those pcs could then be used for the "valance" Be even nicer to have lightweight sun panels cov it then it would also serve another purpose... Dream dream dream....LOL
Gotta get up on the scaffold for each pc to install ...cause awning, its over 8 to 10ft off the ground or more to clear utility stuff.. Its a big undertaking. But hopefully will see it done soon.. This is quite an undertaking wish us Luck y'all

We've had the insulated polycarbonate panels on our homebuilt greenhouse for about 8 yrs now. No problems.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have some on a greenhouse. I have had to add supports for snow as they will bow in in the center and then pop out of their frames. I have (about 5) foot long panels and that is too long for snow without a support at the mid section.
Mine were coated with a UV protectant on one side which helps with UV breakdown of the plastic and minimize surface hazing from degradation.
Helps as they just degrade at a lower rate. It's not all that noticeable unless you take a sidewall panel and swap with a roof panel and then side-by-side it's obvious.
Slowly turning white with haze in a greenhouse is NBFD as many coat roof panels with a whitewash anyway, but as the plastic ages it begins to crack.