anyone else burning more wood than last year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
Usually by this time in Jan. I have burned 3 cords, this year i have burned 4 cords, wood the same , half oak half black birch.???
Anyone elsa burning 30 % more

I am down last year was 12 cords total. I am now at the 5 cord mark. Better wood this year for me.

I suspect I'm burning much less but never took a measurement at this point. I have a mark from mid Feb. last year that put me at 3.65, right now I'm right around 2. My wife no longer works from home so the stove isn't getting fed during the day, now it's a full load in the am, half load after work and full load for the overnight.

I am through 4 which puts me on par with last years 8. But, the wood is still getting better every year.

Not me. With the new Northstar fireplace I'm burning 24/7 vs 11 hrs a day with the old unit and still burning less than half.

A bit less so far actually.Even though I'm not working all the overtime like I was last winter & being home more.The first 1/2 of December 2010 was colder than a year earlier.January & February 2010 were especially bad,with record snow amounts,colder than its been,minus 3 days this week.Hopefully Feb & March 2011 wont be so bad.

I am absolutely going through more wood this year. Cold temps, lots of snow and and higher propane prices have me feeding Bubba (My quad 4300) lots and lots of food.

Well I am burning a little more this year from last seems to have been colder this year I will push past 5 cords this year but not much more than that. Well depend on the temps. in Febuary.

December was slower than last year in December but the last few weeks I'm feeding the fire at a good clip as it has gotten markedly colder here in PA. This weekend he's chewin' up wood real good lol!

CTBurner said:
Usually by this time in Jan. I have burned 3 cords, this year i have burned 4 cords, wood the same , half oak half black birch.???
Anyone elsa burning 30 % more

Not sure on a total but we have burned more sugar maple this year compared to all last year.

zap

doubtingLEE said:
Ja, I'm plowin through the wood way faster this year.

With a supply like yours it truly is just another log on the fire.

We've been burning 24/7 since the begining of November.
Have been real lucky this winter. Between the new Super 27 and the fact that the temp has been pretty moderate with only a few -20*c stretches, we are actually way ahead of last year. I am only about 1/4 of the way through my second row (row = 24' = 1cord). Last year I was easily Starting my 3rd row and ran out before the end of Feb. This year I have 4 cord and will have maybe 1.5-1.75 left over.

About 2 cord by this time last year, and only about 1 1/2 cord (mostly pine) so far this year.
The half a cord difference probably amounts to a bit warmer this winter so far, and we've been managing the fire a little better so it doesn't get quite so warm in the house as we sometimes had it last year.
Also, we just totally renovated the upstairs which included adding a tight vapor barrier and a bit more insulation, so I'm counting on using even less wood for the remainder of the burning season.

I have burned a little over 2 cord so far which isn't too bad considering the cold weather, 2400sqft, and 24/7 burning.

It is hard to compare last year because it was my first year with a cat stove so I might have burned more than really necessary and we added a foot of attic insulation this fall.

It's hard to say for sure. I started burning mid season last year and didn't keep track. This year I am through 3 cords at this point and had figured I would use about 4 to 4.5 a season. Looks like I am on target for using 6 cords, but this is my first full season so I don't really have a baseline to measure against.

I am about halfway through the 2/3 cord of 2 year down shagbark hickory I had CSS last year about this time. The MC is in the 17% to 22% range on the five splits I resplit and measured. Sure makes a difference with high BTU reasonably seasoned wood! I get very little smoke and my furnace is able to maintain temp with only enough hickory coals to fill a gallon size bucket even with the daytime temps in the low 20's and the night temps in the low teens. I am trying a new method this month of only half loading and letting it burn down until the furnace temp starts to drop. Seems to use less wood and be more stable.

Well, call me Captain Obvious, but it's flipping -9 here in northwest NJ. I have never seen temperatures like that before. My Quad is feasting on a diet of well-seasoned sugar maple and red oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.