Anyone else thinking of pulling the trigger and buying.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrblkk

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Northampton, PA
pellets this year for next season???? With pellets being so low it's hard to pass up right now and I can't imagine that next years pre-buy will be any cheaper. I was at Lowes and HD today and both stores had their pellets for $187 at ton. Lowes has Clean Energy (which ran very good for me)....Stove Chow (which were ok).....and Presto-Logs which most people seem to not like. I bought two bags of Presto and am currently running them and they are my least favorite so far (hot but dirty). HD currently only has SC. I was just curious what everyone else was thinking.....

I bought an extra ton. If I had more room would have bought more!

End of January or early February there will be room for another ton. :) Hope the prices ride for a while!

I've got room and may end up grabbing some, it's been a COLD friggin' month though and if it stays like this I will need to break into next years stash to get through this year. I bet the avg temp in Decemeber her in VT has been around 20 with at least 7 days I can think of below 10 and a few more below 5*!! I'm thankful for the pellet burner but am sick of winter like this already!

My entire garage is full of pellets already .. If I get more my wife says she will leave me .... boy will I miss her :)

I probably have enough room in my storage area to squeeze in about 2 ton, but no
rush to do so yet as the pricing in this area hasn't changed much in recent months
for the brands I am interested in.
Unless I see a really good deal (unlikely), I plan to wait till early spring to reload.

The big box stores here keep changing their pricing each week in an attempt to compete
with the new TSC in town.

Bigjim13 said:
I've got room and may end up grabbing some, it's been a COLD friggin' month though and if it stays like this I will need to break into next years stash to get through this year. I bet the avg temp in Decemeber her in VT has been around 20 with at least 7 days I can think of below 10 and a few more below 5*!! I'm thankful for the pellet burner but am sick of winter like this already!

*ouch* it's been cold here too but not quite that bad....I love burning pellets too...it's always a cozy 74-75 in the house unless it gets real windy then it has a hard time keeping up.....

Jay....I thought it was funny that a while ago I told you that you might be pleasantly surprised with the Clean Energy pellets and they didn't work out that great for you....but they burned good for me.....I burned a bag of Pellheat pellets last week (formerly Firemaker I believe) and they burned the best for me this season but the flooring place that sells them wants $225 a ton and cash only....might be worth it though....tough call......

Wilburg said:
My entire garage is full of pellets already .. If I get more my wife says she will leave me .... boy will I miss her :)

You "ain't" packing them in there tight enough ;-).

Get more there's always room for more.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Wilburg said:

You "ain't" packing them in there tight enough ;-).

Get more there's always room for more.

stack 'em high baby....they'll fit!

slvrblkk said:
Jay....I thought it was funny that a while ago I told you that you might be pleasantly surprised with the Clean Energy pellets and they didn't work out that great for you....but they burned good for me.....I burned a bag of Pellheat pellets last week (formerly Firemaker I believe) and they burned the best for me this season but the flooring place that sells them wants $225 a ton and cash only....might be worth it though....tough call......

They did OK for me, Heat was good. Ash was a tad more than I expected. I am keeping an eye on my local TSC as they had the Hardwood Heats and Lignetics. If they drop there price to the Lowes-HD prices. I might be sleeping on piles of pellets! :) :cheese:

I love how everyone is just stopping by and picking up a ton here and there. I carried a ton of pellets into my basement by the bilco door last weekend and it took me like 2 days to recover. So what's the trick to getting the pellets unloaded without killing yourself. By the way, the look on my wife's face was priceless when she looked at my truck and asked, "do you think you bought enough?"

doublewide said:
I love how everyone is just stopping by and picking up a ton here and there. I carried a ton of pellets into my basement by the bilco door last weekend and it took me like 2 days to recover. So what's the trick to getting the pellets unloaded without killing yourself. By the way, the look on my wife's face was priceless when she looked at my truck and asked, "do you think you bought enough?"

lol...I was a Lowes today and they had a "returned" Englander 49-SHCPM on a dolly...as I was looking at it a worker came over and asked if I wanted it...I said if it's half that price I'll take it right home(was listed at $2000 and change)...he said I'll give it to you for $1700....I want to get their Evolution stove but seriously thought about it...then said naaaaa. When I came home and told the wife she said if I would have bought the stove, she would have killed me....except I think she really meant it by the look in her eyes.....

doublewide said:

Well first you have to circumvent the stairs, usually a slide will work. Think about that for a bit along with this, make sure the two ends are at a level that doesn't require you to bend over to place them on the slide or take them off.

That should take care of the stairs and a lot of the bending. I'm sure you can embellish this.

doublewide said:

My trick is calling the son who owes me money...

doublewide said:

I put 3.6 tons down thru the hatch into my cellar, a six pack of Samuel Adams later I was all better ;-)

My unload method is what works for me the best.

I have the retailer place the ton into my pick-up (as most do).
I back the truck up to within about 5' of the 4 steps down I have into my basement.
I place a pallet and sheet of cardboard down on the floor where I want it.
I unwrap the pallet on the truck and stack them 6 bags high on my tailgate.
I make 3 6 bag piles on the tailgate.
I then grab two bags at a time and place them up on my left shoulder.
I then walk the two bags into the basement and place them on the pallet.
I maintain the stacking directions 3 long/2 short alternating each level.
25 trips later all 50 bags are down and stacked.
Takes me about 15-20 minutes with a few breaks during the unload.

I have about 30' to carry the two bag load once inside the basement.

I bring 2 bags up to the stove at a time and burn them as necessary.

My back was a bit sore last night from shoveling and I got to thinking about how I would carry pellets if my back went out or when I get too old.

I guess that's what that small box on the wall for the oil heat is for.

Been so long since I used it I was beginning to forget how :)

---Nailer---

doublewide said:

Stop trying to lift the whole skid a once...

this is how I do it....

1) I go on the computer and get my 10% coupon
2) I drive to HD in my truck
3) I borrow thier truck
4) I have them put the skid in the truck on a fork lift
5) Drive home smiling at all the money I saved :)
6) I open the bulkhead
7) I back the truck towards the bulkhead at full speed
8) at just the right time I jamm on the brakes ..
9) the all end up in the cellar
10) I get a six pack of sam adams and think of all the work I saved!

(oh ya, I keep the truck, they get my $20 deposit)

this is how I do it....

3) I borrow thier truck
6) I open the bulkhead
8) at just the right time I jam on the brakes ..
9) they all end up in the cellar

I just bought another two tons of Somersets from Menards for $349. So since November I've bought 5 tons. If they put them on sale again I'll get more. OINK! OINK!

Wilburg said:
this is how I do it....

3) I borrow thier truck
6) I open the bulkhead
8) at just the right time I jamm on the brakes ..
9) the all end up in the cellar

I am glad to hear you keep the truck. I was worried you drove it back to HD after having the six pack of sams.

Wilburg said:

I missed my wife too, then I re sighted my rifle. I wont miss her next time.

At 168 a ton, with the 10$ discount, it's hard to not buy another ton. I am thinking about a ton or two mroe and stack them in the basement. I don't know what the wife will say.

I have 2 ton outside. I restacked them and wrapped with their plastic then did a tight wrap. This will keep out the snow. I would leave them there in the summemr but I am afraid of the mice.

I don't know at this point what to do about the prices. Since they are in plastic, I am not worried about humidity. I would stack 5 ton in the basement. Wife may get mad, I can't see why the basement would mind.

I've bought enough for this year&next; year-the next ton I buy will be for the 2012-13 season.

I bought 22 tons of Somersets this past fall
burn four tons a year
so I am set for five years
as far as unloading I schedule the delivery for 6 am
they bring the semi to the loading dock at the warehouse
and I have the warehouse guy unload them and
stack them in two nice even rows.
thinking about pulling the trigger and getting another load this spring
if the price is right

Status
Not open for further replies.