Anyone ever build a smoker out of an old stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
So, I got the old Napoleon NC-16 sitting outside and started wondering how hard it would be to build a nice smoker out of it. It's got the 6" pipe connector on the back at a 45 degree angle.

Anyone ever done this and any thought about direction of pipe keep it horizintal to the food section, some vertical etc... Add a T to the pipe to allow some of the gasses to escape?? What I could use to make the food section - need something with a decent seal - maybe an old BBQ and cut a hole in it to take the smoke pipe???

Where to let in the smoke into the food section - below or above the food/grill??

Geez, I'm getting hungry just thinking about a nice slow smoked pork butt with nice tangy bbq sauce mmmmmm ;)

Hi -

I've seen a number of these; most in area's where fish are smoked (salmon, whitefish, etc). Most have a few feet of 6" pipe running up to a 'smoker'. Often the smoker was a cabinet, refrigerator, 55 gallon drum, or the like in a former life. with no real chimney to help it draw you might not need to restrict combustion air much to get it to smoke.

Mine is a 4' square by 8' tall steel cabinet and my friends is the same size made of wood (It's on a gravel pad away from the house). A thermometer is a nice touch. The longer the horizonal run with the vent the lower the temp.

ATB,
Mike

Get Brother Bart to post a pic of his rig. Stove, metal filing cabinet, a few feet of stovepipe. Classic. Rick

Smoker from the old stove? Hey, what a great idea.

Attachments

• brownie smoker.jpg
    brownie smoker.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,313
That's what I'm talkin' about. :coolgrin: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.