Anyone getting clinkers with Okanagan ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
These pics were taken after 3 days burning when i shut off the NPS45.
That i recall, the first bags of okies didn't leave these clinkers but the last 30 bags or so from the 1st/2nd ton are producing this.

Attachments

• Picture 039 small.jpg
    Picture 039 small.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 723
  • Picture 040 small.jpg
    Picture 040 small.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 732
it breaks like when you have frozen ice cream, if you know what i mean............ :)

I bought my stash back in the summer from BT.

i just burned half a ton mine were great .

i've used the santa fe on/off occasionally but i think i was also getting some crust formation as well, will have to try.

Mine are burning fine in my Quad Castile. I try to pull the burn pot handle once a day if I let it run about three days or more I might get a soft clinker, but hard enough so it will not drop when using the clean out handle. Other then that burning the OKIES has been great.

geek,

Maybe we can trade a few bags, I have Turmans you could try for 2 bags of Okies. I'll toss them in right after I burn the Hamers. If you can get them to your bud, Maybe he can be the middle man? I'll ask tomorrow if he can do it.

It appears the Last Great Okie's were the CLEAR bag's....I have one left form the $219 sale a yr ago, 1 bag.................I'm taking bid's for the pot "o" gold bag

I have been burning through 1 ton of Westwood Premiums (same as Okie's) this year and haven't noticed any clinkers like in the photos. However I am seeing a lot more ash than last years batch. Fines in the bag have been higher than previous years too. On the other hand, the heat output is still as high or higher than anything else I can find.

j-takeman said:
geek,

Maybe we can trade a few bags, I have Turmans you could try for 2 bags of Okies. I'll toss them in right after I burn the Hamers. If you can get them to your bud, Maybe he can be the middle man? I'll ask tomorrow if he can do it.

sure, we can trade a couple bags, i will call him today and pass him 2 bags to deliver to you..... :)
Never burned Turmans in my NPS45 so it'd be good to see how they burn.

I have no issues with my Okies yet, but I also am burning the older batches
in the clear bags.

I've burnt about a ton of the oakies this year and it's my first experience with them. I like the heat but find them to generate a large clinker similar to your picture and also as rooscooter mentioned more fines than I expected in such a highly touted pellet. Overall good pellet.

Sorry geek, I cannot get the Okies to clinker in my Omega. The worst I got was some clumping on the burnpot edges. I decreased the feed trim buy 1 setting and they went away. Glass also is still clean and no build up. I'll snap a picture of the glass when I finish the 2 bags(about 3/4 bag to go).

well, we cannot compare, can we? You have a BEAST.....lol

BTW - i tried the North American (Curran) and the only thing bad is the ash, it is a very ashy pellet. But I liked that there's almost no fines in the bag (much better than the Turman), they seemed to burn very hot for me and i also like the fresh pine smell.
I'd definitely buy this NAP for shoulder season, even for cold season if they weren't so ashy.

The Curran blend I burned last season was comparable to your comments. Not a bad pellet if score reasonably. Heat was good for me and Ash was exceptable compared to the cost I paid for the pellets.

When you get a chance post a comment on the Rockies and the Turmans? Please.

Last word from your pal was he was thinking of trading for more of the Turmans, I guess they burn somewhat better for him than the Hamers. No large clinkers anyway. Doesn't matter to me and my pellet eater. She eats what I give her! Yes I'm very spoiled now! :)

Okanagans dated 06/10 are burning hot and clean here
in my St Croix. Over and out.

Xena said:
Okanagans dated 06/10 are burning hot and clean here
in my St Croix. Over and out.

I had well over 2 tons of okies and never noticed a date, where should I look?

Made a boo boo. No date on my Okanagans.
That date code was on my Barefoots.
Oh well. I bought them this past summer
and they are fine n e way.

Have burned about 1 ton of 2 purchased now. All dated 01/10, no clinkers, low ash, high heat! :cheese:

On third ton of okies. No clinkers to speak of. I have noticed a few pellets that have gotten big from being wet. i think it is small holes in the bag and getting a bit of water in it....other then that they are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.