Anyone Have an Opinion on RID-X for the Septic System?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BARTSFAM

Jan 21, 2009
Central MA
Hello;

I have heard both pros and cons for RID X for the septic system. Some say that it will do more harm then good, others say that it is worth the money.

Is there anyone out there with past experience or knowledge if this stuff is any good?

I have been in my house for 8 years...use the Rid-X about once every 2 months or so....I usually get the septic cleaned out every two years....never had a problem...
when I moved in....I had asked the older lady next door about Rid-X and if she ever used it...I was curious since I never had experience with a septic system....
she said....No...I have never used it and I never got the septic cleaned out in 25 years..... :-/
Well when she moved out and the house was on the market...guess what...there was a major major problem....with the septic system...no chit...
a new one had to be installed...like that was a surprise....
so I still use the Rid-X...septic guy told me to keep doing what I am doing...(He is a high school friend of my husband's so we trust him totally)....

rid-x. hasn't hurt anything where i've used it. at the cottage, twice each season. but, remember this, there is no laundry feeding into the tank, either. even the kitchen sink has it's own drain.
yes, i do still use it.

now, its your turn...what have some of the "cons" been that you've heard about using rid-x?

Rid X is snake oil period it does nothing. There is enough bacteria in the tank after one or 2 #2's to do whatever job is needed. The number one thing not to do is dump any grease or oils down the drain. I had mine installed 15 years ago and it works very well and has n ot been pumped to date.

I think it's a waste of money unless your tank got nuked by a serious long-term exposure to antibiotics or chemo-therapy drugs. Our tank gets pumped every 5 years and each time has gotten a good health report. Everything goes into it, laundry and all. Woodman, I think you are overdue for a pumpout. Solids accumulate at the bottom of the tank, you don't want them reaching the overflow.

I originally posted this because two people in the field told me two opposite positions.
One pump man told me he swears by the stuff and to use it. Another pump man told me absolutely not to use it. He believed that it changed the composition of the wastes and solids and it would form solid chunks at the top of the tank near the cover. He also thought that these changing forms would clog up the leechfield flow. That was his opinion.

But most importantly, my old Italian father in law told me not to use it, and he knows everything.... :roll:

I hope not to offend, but please realize that the guys pumping poop into a truck aren't doing that because they are on vacation from their regular jobs as rocket scientists. Instead, seek guidance from the local health department having authority over septic systems in your area. You will find that no actual agency recommends or requires these products. You will also find none of them warning of damage from the products.

So I am a civil engineer. Poop is my bread and butter. The first dump you take into a septic tank has all the bugs needed to handle decomposition from that point forward unless you kill the tank by dumping a huge dose of bleach or other odd thing down the pipe. The reason not to use rid-x type prodcuts is that they makes you look silly, wasting your money on such snake oil. There is no reason to use it except for fear.

You do need to pump your tank at regular intervals. About 5 years is typical. The liquid leaving your tank is pretty clear, the liquid entering your tank has poo. Eventually, the solids will accumulate and ruin your drainfield or cause a backup if you don't pump your tank.

The poop guys who told me not to use it, have been in the poop pumping business for 40 years. They were the ones that told me about clogging, and unnatural build up caused by the RID-X. They also told me to avoid putting dental floss, condoms, swizzle sticks, and tampons down the toilet!! They said those cause the real problems!

Thanks for the advice, I will probably not waste the money on the RID-X.

My system is only 8 years old, so everything should be OK at this time, as long as I pump regularly.

I have a septic tank and do not use it.

What BeGreen said...

In the spring with lots of rain I notice the drains will get slow with out it. (We make are own mix)

Highbeam said:
. ...Poop is my bread and butter...

This kills me....quote of the day i think.

Highbeam, I've always suspected you were an engineer. There's just no hiding it (so says my wife) ;)

Highbeam said:
I hope not to offend, but please realize that the guys pumping poop into a truck aren't doing that because they are on vacation from their regular jobs as rocket scientists. Instead, seek guidance from the local health department having authority over septic systems in your area. You will find that no actual agency recommends or requires these products. You will also find none of them warning of damage from the products.

So I am a civil engineer. Poop is my bread and butter. The first dump you take into a septic tank has all the bugs needed to handle decomposition from that point forward unless you kill the tank by dumping a huge dose of bleach or other odd thing down the pipe. The reason not to use rid-x type prodcuts is that they makes you look silly, wasting your money on such snake oil. There is no reason to use it except for fear.

You do need to pump your tank at regular intervals. About 5 years is typical. The liquid leaving your tank is pretty clear, the liquid entering your tank has poo. Eventually, the solids will accumulate and ruin your drainfield or cause a backup if you don't pump your tank.

I know this one been done to death. I have never had to pump nor has the neighbor he has been there 50 years. My tank is reinforce concrete tank. I have had it opened 3 time in the last 6 years after reading all of the thing everyone says. I not going to pump unless it move higher than the level I started at. Darn sure cant explain it. ( There is no leaks that show in any way) The figers are closest to the camera shot.

Attachments

• aaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaa.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 6,096
Save your money and spend it to get your tank inspected / pumped on a regular basis.

billb3 said:
Save your money and spend it to get your tank inspected / pumped on a regular basis.

I have 3 times now......These post always scare me I can not afford a new system Thats for sure. Not no if it helping any or not but we make are own with yeast for penny's....Lots of home make bread being made at my house so yeast is very plentiful. Just had the septic guys out last time this thread was up. If I had to put in a new one right now it would BK me in this economy!

I probably be digging a up again soon.....I am kinda of a perfectionist when it comes to maintenance of any kind.....Take a look at the grass! (just glad the soil there will be easy digging)

Ah crap...I guess I am not gonna waste any more money on Rid-x.....especially since we get it pumped regularly and I never dispose of grease down the sink....I guess you learn something new here every day at Hearth.com

GAMMA RAY said:
Ah crap...I guess I am not gonna waste any more money on Rid-x.....especially since we get it pumped regularly and I never dispose of grease down the sink....I guess you learn something new here every day at Hearth.com

I would not so quick to dis-regauard this. The claims and benfits of these treatments are real. Its going to vary from tank to tank. Now if I was pumping it out anyways now its a waste of money at that point.

Reactions: Right Winger
Semipro said:
You can always use one of these http://www.septicmaintenanceonline.com/product/DSP10 or a "Sludge Judge" to check the solids level in your own tank.

Ouch! 550$ shipped. We have one at the plant and it is a pretty simple thing. Huge profit margin on that bugger.

The claims that the additive companies make are not real. Compare these products to the magnets on your fuel line that are supposed to save fuel.

^ Listen to Highbeam. He knows his sh!t. Rick

Highbeam said:
Semipro said:
You can always use one of these http://www.septicmaintenanceonline.com/product/DSP10 or a "Sludge Judge" to check the solids level in your own tank.

Ouch! 550$ shipped. We have one at the plant and it is a pretty simple thing. Huge profit margin on that bugger.

The claims that the additive companies make are not real. Compare these products to the magnets on your fuel line that are supposed to save fuel.

If there is no benefit's at all and you can prove that should they be in Jail or at least out of business?

Highbeam hit it out of the park.