Anyone have pictures of their ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
Mine looks very coarse, and the stove seems to blow bits and pieces of burning pellets out and into the ash pan or on the ledges on the side.

I will take a picture and post it probably tomorrow as my battery is dead in me camera.

thanks

I didn't think that was appropriate for this web site...

Oh ASH. Gotcha.

I have course ash that falls into the hopper. Alot of it depends on the pellet I am burning. Right now I am burning nations choice and I found little chunks of copper in my ash. When I burn something abit more expensive... Spruce pointe for example the ash seems ot get fluffy.

EDIT- I should also mention that I get pellets bumped out onto the ledges all the time.This is especially true after a cleaning. Once the ash damn builds up on either side of the burn pot more pellets stay in.

Reactions: briansol
... Right now I am burning nations choice and I found little chunks of copper in my ash...

Probably chunks of pallet staples!!

Depends on Brand of Pellet. But here are some. One from this year. One from last year.

2012-10-13_14-03-18_338.jpg 2011-12-26_18-01-53_8.jpg

That's nice ASH.

Not too lumpy.
:eek:
---Nailer---

As soon as I read the title,, I knew this one would get a response, albeit not what you wanted!!! It's so easy to make an ash out of yourself here! I do it regularly. If the particles are still chunks then you are getting incomplete burning. You must be blowing the ash out of the burn pot before it's burned completely.
My ash looks like DexterDay's....... :p

I didn't think that was appropriate for this web site...

Oh ASH. Gotcha.

I have course ash that falls into the hopper. Alot of it depends on the pellet I am burning. Right now I am burning nations choice and I found little chunks of copper in my ash. When I burn something abit more expensive... Spruce pointe for example the ash seems ot get fluffy.

EDIT- I should also mention that I get pellets bumped out onto the ledges all the time.This is especially true after a cleaning. Once the ash damn builds up on either side of the burn pot more pellets stay in.

Ash falling into your hopper? uh oh.... :p

I like big Ash and I can not lie...

Reactions: briansol
And the OP actually expected to get real advice!!!!! ;sick

Hopper of Harman, bucket of BixbyDSCN0127.JPGDSCN0128.JPG

mine looks a lot like the above 5-gallon bucket photo. some clumps, mostly fine, and not grey, but rather gray0ish brown-ish in color.

Wow my ash looks nothing like these. I am using the Home Depot special Pellets which I am not in love with. To be fair I am still learning how to use my stove. Mine is a little more black/gray and not solid but "more solid" than fluffy. So I guess I am saying my ash is solid and not fluffy and lumpy.

Cheaper pellets will have crappier ash as it is a lower quality wood fiber used

The two examples are of the same pellet. Different stoves.

The two examples are of the same pellet. Different stoves.
Can I guess at it???

The top is a multi-fuel stove the bottom a pellet stove?

To me it looks like a lot of dampness clumped up the ash. An OAK on a very rainy, humid day????

Top picture is from an agitator/mixer stove. The ash will look darker(even when lean) because the agitator kicks some of the ash out before its fully burned. A trade off for not having to mess with the burnpot daily and deal with clinkers clogging the burn.

Bottom picture is from a cake maker(don't know what else to call them). It tries to make a ash cake/puck, so you will get some clumping. Interesting concept and looks to burn all the carbon before it ejects the puck/cake. Again no pot tinkering and clinkers to clog it up.

Here are a few of mine. It seems like the chunks burn up completely.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 264
The Bixby makes nice pucks out of corn and the Titanium pot burns things very well. the Bixcheck lets one check and change alot of things. The Harman system is alot more forgiving and easier to clean and maintain.

Top picture is from an agitator/mixer stove. The ash will look darker(even when lean) because the agitator kicks some of the ash out before its fully burned. A trade off for not having to mess with the burnpot daily and deal with clinkers clogging the burn.

Bottom picture is from a cake maker(don't know what else to call them). It tries to make a ash cake/puck, so you will get some clumping. Interesting concept and looks to burn all the carbon before it ejects the puck/cake. Again no pot tinkering and clinkers to clog it up.

I was gonna say my ash seems darker than what's shown here! Wow that just doesn't sound right!

Status
Not open for further replies.