Anyone here is that dude installing that pellet stove in the DYINet video?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Really nice how-to...thanks.

what is that pipe they used for the combustion air?

Nice looking install but the hearth pad looks too small. Appears that the stove is almost at the edge of the pad.

AR

chrisasst said:
what is that pipe they used for the combustion air?

Aluminum flex tube. It comes with some of the OAK's or you could get it at an autoparts store.

AR that does look small!

Nice vid though. I have always cut the siding out and flashed it. I will try this method next time. Love the boys on "Ask this Old House". Learned a bunch of neat tricks from them!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but have questions now.....Are the exhaust pipe and the combustion pipe supposed to be tightly sealed on the pipes coming off the stove? Also is that combustion pipe a good pipe to use? what do you all use for the OAK... I currently have, well never mind what I have but :p

chrisasst said:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but have questions now.....Are the exhaust pipe and the combustion pipe supposed to be tightly sealed on the pipes coming off the stove? Also is that combustion pipe a good pipe to use? what do you all use for the OAK... I currently have, well never mind what I have but :p

This thread is about installing so I see no hijack. :)

The exhaust looks like pellet vent or pellet vent pro. Yes I would seal them the same as they did for in house joints( I don't use anything outside) and also you could add some sealer to the outside of the pipe for in house. You can still get them apart later. I use 2 strap wrenches.

There are kits available for OAK installs that have the whole shabang in there. I try to dig up a link for you. If you tell us what pipe you got now :p hehe!

So I guess I need a stove adapter or something that I saw in another video so I attach it to the stove and the the pipe to that. I know they have kits ( $300 ) or so right.... Ok I have some pvc pipe for the combustion...
Does it affect anything if the pipes aren't sealed tightly to the stove?

chrisasst said:
So I guess I need a stove adapter or something that I saw in another video so I attach it to the stove and the the pipe to that. I know they have kits ( $300 ) or so right.... Ok I have some pvc pipe for the combustion...
Does it affect anything if the pipes aren't sealed tightly to the stove?

You are talking about the OAK intake air? If there is a leak you could draw warm house air thru the stove. Not a big big deal like an exhaust leak. But a good seal is better. A little leak wont brake the bank.

When you said combustion I thought you meant exhaust. PVC on exhaust is a no no. Ok on OAK as long as its connected with a non cumbustable pipe. But I prefer to be safe and go with the aluminum. I think I saw it at a lowes store to.

Here is some kit links

http://www.usstove.com/proddetail.php?prod=69FAK

http://www.englanderstoves.com/Outside_Air_Kit.html

Sorry, I am talking about both... neither one of mine is sealed tight. I am using the PVC as the OAK....

chrisasst said:
Sorry, I am talking about both... neither one of mine is sealed tight. I am using the PVC as the OAK....

The exhaust is a must seal to the stove. You don't want any leak there. I recommend the stove pipe adapter and a few screws to the stove outlet pipe. Seal the heck put of that connection!

Hello

That hearth pad will block the air that needs to circulate under the baseboard heat. So now that the baseboard is alot less efficient they will need pellet heat!!

Any ideas how to fix that?

Don2222 said:
Hello

That hearth pad will block the air that needs to circulate under the baseboard heat. So now that the baseboard is alot less efficient they will need pellet heat!!

Any ideas how to fix that?

If you look at 3:06 and 3:16 into the video it appears that the hearth pad is a couple of inches from the baseboard. I would think that's enough to allow for air circulation. Anyway, if they keep feeding that pellet stove those baseboards won't see hot water again.

What brand of stove was installed... they all look the same to me...

what type of insulation did he placed from the outside for added protection around the exhaust pipe?

geek said:
what type of insulation did he placed from the outside for added protection around the exhaust pipe?

I got some of that with my Selkirk wall thimble... it's white woven material similar to fiberglass but it's not 'glass...

i havent view the video, but rockwool is sometimes used as insulation, as well as fiberglass.

j-takeman said:
imacman said:
krooser said:
What brand of stove was installed... they all look the same to me...

Looks like an Enviro Empress.

Its either a Windsor or an Empress? Very similar stoves.
Just looked at the Enviro website... looks like you guys are right.

I like the 55 lb. hopper... my old girlfriend had one of those...

I like the 55 lb. hopper... my old girlfriend had one of those...

Oh no......I'm not looking forward to where this is going to take us......

The install was done by Rob Dardano at South Side Fireplaces... 800 479 4949

Status
Not open for further replies.