Anyone know the plumbing codes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
I'm replacing the old copper water lines in a section of my basement, using Pex-A, and re-connecting to the old copper lines as they go above the garage (which is level with the basement). I want to run the pex perpendicular through the joists, instead of below them, where the old copper now runs, but it occurred to me that this will make the old copper lines above the garage a "low point" in the supply lines, making it impossible to drain them without cutting into them. It's only a 2 inch difference in height.

I flipped through the IRC and didn't see any regulation on this issue, though every house I've lived in, the supply lines were totally drainable through a faucet or spigot at the lowest point.

Anyone know if this is in fact prohibited by Code? Or whether it is a bad idea otherwise?

As far as I can see, the only drawback would be a face full of water if I ever had to work on the lines over the garage.

And again, I'm talking about the supply lines, not the drains.

Thanks.

I have never heard that the lines must be drainable. If winterizing is a concern, rv anti-freeze could be pumped in. GO FOR IT

Never heard of it. Maybe for outdoor faucets before freez-proof sillcocks but not for supply lines. Appliances like water heaters maybe, but not supply lines.

If your concerns go above and beyond code, just install a drain...or drain line.

Not illegal, just illogical. Face full of water isn't the issue, freeze up is.

You probably already know this but be sure and cut through the center of your joists when running your new pipe, not the top or bottom.

Plumbing codes
Hot of the left
Cold on the right
$hit don't go up hill without a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.