Anyone see the total lunar eclipse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Working the firewood by the moonlight maybe or just out howling?

I not only slept through it, I also slept in this morning. Was expecting to see no coals to rekindle the fire with. Turns out the wife was up in hopes of catching a glipse of the eclipse and put some some wood in the stove but then she fell asleep and missed the eclipse and slept in longer than me.

Oh well... she woke up to a nice warm fire.

Damn...I meant to check on the time of the eclipse. I was up late last night and the clear sky with the full moon allowed me take the dogs out with no exterior lights.
Oh well, maybe next time.

I was up early for work and wouldn't you know it was cloudy. Was clear as a bell last night when I went to bed. ...oH well, the next one is only 3 years away ...LOL

I saw it. It was only partial here, but I was out there at 1°F watching it!

It was supposed to be best west of the Mississippi I think. Didn't see it here and didn't even check to see what time it was to happen. quads can do it a 1 degree but he was probably getting ready to do the milking.

Backwoods Savage said:
It was supposed to be best west of the Mississippi I think. Didn't see it here and didn't even check to see what time it was to happen. quads can do it a 1 degree but he was probably getting ready to do the milking.
Nope, I had the morning off from milking! It started here at 6:45am so I would have been done with the milking almost an hour by then anyway. HA!

I'm not sure when it was here but I was up and working on stuff outside from around 5AM till 5-6PM today and I never saw anything weird with the moon.

Managed to get up and watch it. I figured the odds of seeing it in Portland in December were worse than winning the lottery so I had to try.

These are the pictures I took from the house.

Attachments

• DSC_8208.jpg
    DSC_8208.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_8225.jpg
    DSC_8225.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_8238.jpg
    DSC_8238.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_8249.jpg
    DSC_8249.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 219
Those are some great pictures Skyline. Here the couple nights before the eclipse the moon was so bright I did not need a flashlight outside. When the eclipse was visible I walked out of the house into a dense fog. :long:

Didn't even hear there was going to be an eclipse. From the map though I don't think I was going to see an eclipse no matter how late I stayed up.

mayhem said:
Didn't even hear there was going to be an eclipse. From the map though I don't think I was going to see an eclipse no matter how late I stayed up.

Same here . . . I did notice the very orangey looking moon though on Saturday night.

wetwood said:
Those are some great pictures Skyline. :long:
+1

I have a little time-lapse video file I made (on a drive somewhere???) of an eclipes of the moon, while it was rising through the trees, going into umbra stage. It turned out a little dark because the camera was so zoomed in, and because the eclipseded moon is not very bright to begin with, but it still looks kinda cool.

Edit: I found it and uploaded it to youtube.
(keep in mind this one is from a few years ago, not the this last one)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfVdIlQirs8&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.