Anyone try burning corn pellet mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the same stove you have but I did try straight corn and corn pellet mix I my Quadrafire MT Vernon AE insert and it put out a lot of heat but it's messy, required almost daily cleanings where as just burning pellets I can go 2 weeks or more depending on outside temps. The only reason I really don't use corn is the varmints, lack of cheap good quality dry corn around me and the mess.

Sorry for the double post

Never used a King Stove, but any decent stove should burn a mix just fine. Try it with a bag but do it under supervision so you can react if the stove starts acting up. Make sure the corn is dry, 12-14% moisture if you can

I have found the 60/40 pellet to corn is a good mix and burns well in my stove. I can go a whole week on normal cleanings. I found softwoods and corn mix well, But any good pellet does fine. Only problem now is corn is down right price compared to pellets locally. So I didn't bother this season. But its an option for me.

My stove handles straight corn pretty well too. But it is a bit more messy and because i have a basement install. I just don't get as much heat as the 60/40 mix.

fitz1391 said:
i have a king 5500, and was wondering if anyone has done the corn pellet mix with these stoves. or is it trial by fire?

I have burned a lot of both in my Countryside. Corn is as good as pellets but frankly I can't see a difference one way or the other except for pellet mix being handy to keep the fire going on low when using overly moist corn. I doubt that you will be able to locate corn cheap enough to be worth your bother in Mas. If it was Iowa or Wisconsin it would be different. Overall corn is a bit more hassle to deal with though even letting it sit for 2 years I never had any issues with bugs or mice. That was stored both bulk and in bags sitting on a palet in a cement basement. Pellets sure are convenient in their nice bags and you don't have to screen them. Corn is Ok if you buy it by the pickup truck load at the feed lot, especially when I used to pay $75 to $150 / ton for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.